newbies *VERY PIC HEAVY*

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by cbrown86, May 12, 2011.

1. cbrown86

cbrown86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2011
    Missouri
    I asked the worker at Atwoods to get me a Silkie and turned around. When I got home, I found this was what she gave me. I don't think it's a Silkie, so what is it?

She is gray with black beak, tiny black comb and feet. She has 4 toes. She is a bully and chases my other chicks around, pecking their faces, but she is sweet to me. She is about half the size of my smallest chick who is almost 2 wks old.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I felt bad for this one bc her face kept getting pecked. What is she? She has a yellow beak, no comb yet. She has yellow feathered feet. Her feathers are kind of orange-ish with some black trim. She is so sweet and gentle. She likes to lay in my hands, and doesn't mind the other chicks.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Together
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. 4cheepers

4cheepers Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2011
    SEPA
    First one looks silkie to me, correct me if I'm wrong but the black skin/beak is a dead giveaway [​IMG]

Little one looks sort of like a golden lakenvelder chick I had, but that's by no means a definitive answer!

3. Momagain1

Momagain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Central IL
    I think the first one is a bantam of sorts...I'm only learning the breeds; but that size would indicate a bantam..

4. happyhensny

happyhensny Brown Barns Farm

Does the first chick have 5 toes? If not then it is not a Silkie.

5. cbrown86

Mar 7, 2011
    Missouri
    Well, I've heard that Silkies can have 4 toes, but if they do not to breed them bc the gene will pass down and they wouldn't be show quality. Which I don't care about. I know it's a bantam, bc it is just so tiny it has to be! The 2nd one, I am pretty sure is a standard. Either that or it is older.

6. 4cheepers

4cheepers Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2011
    SEPA
    Yep, silkies can have four toes. It's a recessive gene.

7. zookeeper15133

zookeeper15133 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    SW PA
    The first one looks like a silkie, but it only has 4 toes and no feathered feet. Maybe a cross?
    The second could be a cochin.
    But I am no expert.

8. CindyJeann

CindyJeann Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    Miller County Arkansas
    Could the second one be a buff brahma? I noticed the feathered feet.

9. SIMPleChick

SIMPleChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Utah
    LOL! Look at that 3rd picture!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHA! That little guy is saying either, insert hot tub here, or Hey, baby, how you doin'! [​IMG] SO CUTE!!!

10. cbrown86

Mar 7, 2011
    Missouri
    Someone told me it might be a self blue old english? As for the yellowish one, I haven't the slightest. I just felt bad for the little booger. HurstsHens-yeah I giggled when I took it! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by