Newborn chick/Should I put it down? Pls help!

minpinmama

Chirping
9 Years
Dec 24, 2010
Just had a chick hatch on it's own. Darn it, here I am helping chicks out of eggs and the one to
all of a sudden hatch on his own with no help needed, well something is wrong with it.

Is the egg sack I hear folks talking about attached to the bottom area of a chick?
This little bugger took me by surprise, hatched himself out and is now bleeding all over the
incubator and other chicks and unhatched eggs. Upon examination I found he has something sticking out of his
bottom area that goes into a hole in it's belly. Chirping, walking around, making a mess
and other chicks trying to peck at his area with something hanging.
Obviously I'm not running a hatching to the vet. Should I just end it?
Will the area close up on it's own? Should I take him away from the others?
Out of the ones that hatched themselves and the ones needing help it was truly one who did it on their own

he.gif
Can someone please advice me? I'll try to take a pic and post it, I just hate opening up the bator
with more eggs due to hatch.

Last edited:
Hoping someone will post, he is holding his own but moving about walking and dragging what looks
like 'guts' from his backside area. Chirping, walking, bleeding enough to smear a mess but not bleeding
badly and it's not a SFH it's a Light Sussex. Can anyone advise me? Not sure if it close off on it's own, with the
hanging yuk drying up and falling off or hubby should just take him outside and end it?

It might just be the umbilical cord attached to the egg membrane. I've had a few hatched like that. It might have torn a little it doesn't sound like its bleeding alot. It usually just dries up and falls off. If none are hatching I pull it out of the incubator so the lack of humidity will dry it up faster. But I've also heard of chicks pulling their intestines out...I'm not sure what that would look like.

Sorry I can't be more help. But I certainly wouldn't cull it if its moving around and fine. And I don't think the blood is going to hurt the eggs. If the others are harassing it then just separate them.

The others occasionally try to harrass it by pecking at the hanging yuk stuff.
Still have eggs I hope more will hatch, we're on day 22 and most hatched today.
I think I've seen what you mentioned but it wasn't as think as this.
Think I'll fire up my spare bator and get it to the right temp for a couple hours without all the humidity
and put the little stinker in it to be able to dry without the others pecking at it's backside.

The area looks bigger, may be intestines, here are some pictures to see if anyone can advise.

he.gif
rant.gif
Darned if yet another just hatched and did the same thing, now I have two with goop hanging out of their stomach wall
The new one not as much as the first but certainly more blood than the first.

To me it looks like its yolk sack just hasn't been absorbed yet. I'm new to all this so don't take my word for it. Try doing a search on this site about unabsorbed yolk or something to that effect, I know I've seen it talked about... if nothing else you can at least rule it out. Best of luck, keep us posted.

look they are hatching too early and not having time to absorb egg yolk

Today is day 22 and they pipped on their own.
I was thinking they would pip today or tomorrow since my bator gave me issues and the temp was lower (94 to 95) one evening on and off.

A shell thats pipped doesn't mean the chick is ready to be born. When they pip the reason it can take so long before they start to zip is because they are in the process of absorbing the yolk sac. It might be able to still absorb the yolk as long as its not tore open. There is also a risk for infection.

Back
Top Bottom