Newborn chick with sack of blood

What you saw may not have been egg sac prolapse. It may have been vent prolapse. Judging from the photo in your first post, it's the right color. Yolk prolapse probably would be more yellow.

Vent prolapses often retract on their own, so this is the explanation I would offer to explain this mystery. But keep an eye on this chick for this could repeat. If it does, and other chicks are around this chick, they could cause serious injury by pecking at the delicate tissue. You will need to be prepared to remove the chick for its safety if the vent prolapses again.

I haven't heard of yolk sacs retracting, but it may be possible as long as the yolk wasn't ruptured. But the same advice applies. This could happen again. The chick must be watched. If it does happen again, and you can determine it's the yolk sac, which would be obvious if you can see the little vent above it, utmost care must be given so the sac doesn't rupture. Someone mentioned placing the chick in a cup to protect the egg sac while the yolk is being absorbed. Once it's absorbed, dab some coconut oil or wound ointment on the umbilicus and the chick should be fine back with its mates.

I haven't heard of yolk sacs retracting, but it may be possible as long as the yolk wasn't ruptured. But the same advice applies. This could happen again. The chick must be watched. If it does happen again, and you can determine it's the yolk sac, which would be obvious if you can see the little vent above it, utmost care must be given so the sac doesn't rupture. Someone mentioned placing the chick in a cup to protect the egg sac while the yolk is being absorbed. Once it's absorbed, dab some coconut oil or wound ointment on the umbilicus and the chick should be fine back with its mates.
I agree, I've never heard or seen a yolk sac retracting! If it's a yolk sac, it will dry up and eventually fall off if it's not too big and other chicks don't peck at it.

Back
Top Bottom