Newborn chick with sack of blood

OFWGKTA

Chirping
Dec 27, 2023
my first ever chick i hatched has a huge thing coming out its butt. Doesnt look like a intestine but its just a huge sack that has blood coming out of it. The chick is also very small i dont know if it is premature or not, but that wouldnt make sense because it actually hatched past the original due date I know it probably wont make it i just want to know what it is
20240119_173019.jpg

Last edited:
It’s the yolk sack that hasn’t been absorbed. Probably due to temp and humidity or contamination. Chuck still has a good chance of survival. Just keep it warm and feed it properly with electrolytes in water. Eventually it will get absorbed. Hopefully.

It’s the yolk sack that hasn’t been absorbed. Probably due to temp and humidity or contamination. Chuck still has a good chance of survival. Just keep it warm and feed it properly with electrolytes in water. Eventually it will get absorbed. Hopefully.
Oh thank god thank you so much. I had the temp at 99.5 and humidity at 70 the WHOLE time. But what could contamination be?? A rotten egg??? one cracked open but we cleaned it up, is that it?

Yep, looks like a yolk sack. Do everything you can to keep it from rupturing because if it does, its chances of survival are virtually zero. Keep him from moving as much as you can without making him struggle to try and get free.
If he'd just hatched I would recommend carefully sliding him back into the egg and putting him upright in a cup, but it's too late now. How is he today?

Yep, looks like a yolk sack. Do everything you can to keep it from rupturing because if it does, its chances of survival are virtually zero. Keep him from moving as much as you can without making him struggle to try and get free.
If he'd just hatched I would recommend carefully sliding him back into the egg and putting him upright in a cup, but it's too late now. How is he today?
He barley moves and just wobbles and walks a small bit, but when he was just hatched he had no yolk on his butt, just poop coming out. I dont have a clue when that yolk appeared. It was leaking blood, how do i fix that?

He barley moves and just wobbles and walks a small bit, but when he was just hatched he had no yolk on his butt, just poop coming out. I dont have a clue when that yolk appeared. It was leaking blood, how do i fix that?
If it appeared then that’s concerning. Can you get a better picture? It could have been mostly absorbed but then prolapsed. It looks more like yolk than intestine but it’s a bad picture so I could be wrong.

If it appeared then that’s concerning. Can you get a better picture? It could have been mostly absorbed but then prolapsed. It looks more like yolk than intestine but it’s a bad picture so I could be wrong.
Um...
its gone. Literally just disapearred. That blood was already there by the way. i gave the chick water with electrolytes like another person said but there is no way it absorbed that fast
20240119_194757.jpg

Back
Top Bottom