Newborn duckling aggression

leflemin

In the Brooder
May 30, 2022
I have 2 ducklings that just hatched; one a few hours ago and another about 30 min ago. The one that hatched previously is biting and attacking the newborn, trying to yank out feathers on it's neck, wings, tail, etc. It's not even dry yet! The are still in the incubator with others getting ready to hatch.
Is this bullying/aggressive behavior normal? They both just hatched! I could not stand to watch any longer so took the bully out and put into a separate incubator (with nothing else in it except one egg that probably won't hatch).

What should I do? I don't feel it is safe to have them together, especially when the other one is still just drying off and worn out from hatching. Maybe if more siblings hatch the aggressive one can spread the viciousness around. Do ducklings normally attack each other when they hatch? I've never hatched any eggs before.

I haven’t heard of this before. Maybe someone will see this and can give you an answer. Maybe something is wrong with the newer hatch 🤷‍♀️ and the “bully” knows it. Or maybe is already ready to horse around and when the other ones hatch they will ease it up and it can be spread to the rest of them. 🤷‍♀️

Again I hope someone sees this that can help.

Thank you for responding (I was wondering if anyone could even see the post and it has sort of been a crisis). Luckily I found this article:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar... at all,rule out general environmental causes.

I put them into the same brooder today (so far the only 2 that have hatched). I sat and watched closely for a while. Of course the one started picking (and pecking) the other again badly, so I did what the article suggested and used my finger to poke the perpetrator in the back (the same way the mother would peck the baby), and it definitely settled it down. Note: this didn't completely get rid of the behavior, but it became occasionally here and there and at a more normal level instead of intense viciousness. It was basically training, which takes some time (I think I spent about over an hour of intensely "correcting" the behavior every single time it bit the other one). I provided food and water (they drank and ate for the first time!) So getting rid of any other stressors for them (like being hungry and thirsty). They are finally sleeping together peacefully. When I took one out briefly, the other started crying loudly because it didn't want to be alone. I did not leave them alone until I was sure the smaller one would be safe. I think part of it is them getting to know each other and establish dominance (even at a newborn age); but the mother hen has to make sure the siblings don't kill each other in the process.

I plan to do this when the next one hatches (one more has pipped, and I'm sure it will be the underdog when I put it in with the other 2 as the newbie).

Thank you for responding (I was wondering if anyone could even see the post and it has sort of been a crisis). Luckily I found this article:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/aggressive-baby-chicks-and-how-to-stop-the-behavior.72029/#:~:text=Actually, it's not at all,rule out general environmental causes.

I put them into the same brooder today (so far the only 2 that have hatched). I sat and watched closely for a while. Of course the one started picking (and pecking) the other again badly, so I did what the article suggested and used my finger to poke the perpetrator in the back (the same way the mother would peck the baby), and it definitely settled it down. Note: this didn't completely get rid of the behavior, but it became occasionally here and there and at a more normal level instead of intense viciousness. It was basically training, which takes some time (I think I spent about over an hour of intensely "correcting" the behavior every single time it bit the other one). I provided food and water (they drank and ate for the first time!) So getting rid of any other stressors for them (like being hungry and thirsty). They are finally sleeping together peacefully. When I took one out briefly, the other started crying loudly because it didn't want to be alone. I did not leave them alone until I was sure the smaller one would be safe. I think part of it is them getting to know each other and establish dominance (even at a newborn age); but the mother hen has to make sure the siblings don't kill each other in the process.

I plan to do this when the next one hatches (one more has pipped, and I'm sure it will be the underdog when I put it in with the other 2 as the newbie).
Oh good! I’m glad you found something! I haven’t hatch any before but I have been doing a lot of reading for when I do. I was hoping if I responded someone might seen it and it be brought up back to the top of the most recent. I hope things go good with the next one coming! It sounds like you might have plan though so that is really positive!

Back
Top Bottom