Newborn Kittens!

TubbyChicken

Songster
11 Years
Jul 30, 2008
Kentucky
I'm fostering a pregnant cat for the local animal shelter (she was scheduled to be euthanized the day after I was called to foster her. Thankfully we had the space and ability so we brought her here about a week ago.

My son and I were just letting the ducklings have a swim when we heard some kittens in the other room! She's had 3 babies so far! I'm expecting more. They're all squirming and looking for milk and making the most precious noises. Mama cat is so sweet, purring and kneading while I pet her and being a very diligent mama.

She gave birth on a precarious shelf so I moved her and the babies to a safer box....when Dh gets home from work he'll set up a big wire crate to house them in for now.

I'll post pics when I can take some without stressing her! How exciting! My 2 yr old was able to watch one of the kittens being born. He's still talking about "eating da placenta" LOL

That is wonderful. I fostered for my local cat rescue several times. The first foster wasnt very happy. The mother cat gave birth to 5 kittens. 2 were still born, 1 died the first night, and 1 died at a week old. The last kitten is doing great. The adoptive parents sent me some pictures.

Last fall I also fostered another litter. A mom and 5 kittens who were due to be put to sleep the day after we got them. luckly the rescue decided to take them, and I fostered them. The mother was very sick, she stopped making milk and I had to bottle feed the kittens. In the end, I kept one of the kittens that almost died from pneumonia.

She's had 4 now...I think she *may* be done. All are healthy and thriving so far.
big_smile.png

Quote:
Thats wonderful. Just make sure that she doesnt eat all the placentas, and make sure that all of the placentas are accounted for.

With my first foster, I let her eat as many of the placentas as she wanted, big mistake.

I had her on the carpet nursing the kittens, and she had a nasty spell of diarrhea. Luckly, I had a towel under her butt. It was something nasty, lol.

thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom