Newby saying HELLO!!!!!

Welcome to the family Dominique, and to our addiction! Best of luck with your flock. While silkies aren't a breed that would work for me I definately see their appeal to others so am glad you have a plan to integrate them into your home. I hope they bring you many years of joy.

Please be sure to predator proof for them to save yourself a lot of heartache later as nobody wants to see you go through that pain. I only mention this as I read reports entirely too often that this breed is weaker against predators, however, many keep them very successfully without issues and even keep them as housepets with diapers....

Thanks very much!! I am sooooooo excited to get my silkies!! My biggest concern is integrating my dogs with them but hoping they will be accepting of their new family members :) I am trying to gather as much knowledge upfront so that I am prepared when they arrive.

Thanks very much!! I am sooooooo excited to get my silkies!! My biggest concern is integrating my dogs with them but hoping they will be accepting of their new family members :) I am trying to gather as much knowledge upfront so that I am prepared when they arrive.
Hehe, dogs work well in their favor and for protection. I had the hardest time breaking the bird dog from my bird dog chocolate lab, but now she is their best protection. Just let a hawk settle in one of our trees and she goes crazy letting it know it isn't welcome here. Even a simple fly over from a raptor draws her ire.

Hi Everyone
My name is Dominique and I live in Cape Town, South Africa.
I am completely new to keeping chickens as pets and would like as much as information as possible to make sure my new feathered children have happy healthy lives!
We have numerous chickens at the yard where I stable my horse so this is where my new obsession started. I have fallen in love with a silkie chicken at the stables named buttercup! She is the cutest, fluffiest and friendliest little hen. she lets you pick her up and cuddle her all the time! My husband is currently building our chicken coop and we have a few chicks at the stables which (if there are hens) I will be taking 3 of them home once our coop is ready.
I am very excited to be part of BYC and looking forward to reading all the articles etc.
:frow:celebrate:welcome:thumbsup

Hello Dominique and welcome to BYC! :frow

Its hard not to fall in love with Silkies. :D They are like fuzzy puppies. :lol:

Great to have you aboard and welcome to our roost! :)

Thanks so much!! I couldn't agree more!! They are the cutest fluffiest and friendliest! I really hope the ones I get will be as friendly as buttercup:love

Back
Top Bottom