newby to BYC

jk216

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 7, 2012
Margate, kent
Hi to all, i live in the UK, I have been reading you stories about how to build coops and hen houses since last year when i found this site, my poor husband is beside himself as he has to build it..lol. We are on our second batch of chicken since Mr fox paid us a visit back in Feb, thankfully my son has sort out the problem for now! I have a question to ask about which to use in the hen/duck house for flooring straw or hay on top of shavings? Straw is cheaper than hay over here by about £2.50, shaving coast £8 a large bag but are worth it and a fantastic form of bedding which is what i am using at the moment as a deep bedding in there coop until the bigger house is built. Advice welcomed
smile.png
many thanks Julie

Hello and welcome from Ohio....glad you joined us. I use deep pine shavings and hay in my coop and run but I have horses so I have hay. I have used straw in the past and it works well too. I know there are lots of people on here who use all sorts of bedding from leaves to sand. Good luck with your choice. Glad you are here :)

hi- I use some shavings in the winter and also hay. I use shavings in the nesting boxes. makes for nice clean eggs.
The girls like the hay to scratch through it all and munch on it too. Now that spring is here, they only go in the coop to lay and roost at night and are free range all day long.

Back
Top Bottom