Newby with Roosters

Tbrad

Chirping
Jul 20, 2022
I started my flock last October with a straight run. Long story short I have acquired 3 bantam roosters and 1 bantam hen. The bantams were separated from my larger ladies but now, 1 full grown rooster is with them on their side. There is another rooster chick in the house (about to out him in the coop) and I have the other rooster and hen duo that seem to have a good connection.

With that said, my biggest concern is the hen. The roosters seem to be significantly larger and having 3 I am worried that she will become a liability. I have asked someone who has a much larger flock if she can take any should I have issues but it's looking unlikely. Also, I'm in a neighborhood and worry about the noise.

Is my hen safe? Can bantams roosters mingle with the bigger ladies without issues? I mean it's good enough since he can roost with them.

One pullet with three cockerels is not good for her at all. Yes, bantams and standard birds can live together, mine have for a long time. But, it all depends on the individuals involved getting along, and how much space they have. Also, while there's not 'magic ratio' of hens to roosters, too many roosters, or sometime just the wrong one, will make the hen's lives miserable.
If your flock size is large enough, and you have enough space and separate areas for everyone, maybe they can all get along together.
The fact that you are asking about this suggests that at least all three bantam cockerels are two too many. And more cockerels not out there yet? Seems like a lot of boys!
Mary

One pullet with three cockerels is not good for her at all. Yes, bantams and standard birds can live together, mine have for a long time. But, it all depends on the individuals involved getting along, and how much space they have. Also, while there's not 'magic ratio' of hens to roosters, too many roosters, or sometime just the wrong one, will make the hen's lives miserable.
If your flock size is large enough, and you have enough space and separate areas for everyone, maybe they can all get along together.
The fact that you are asking about this suggests that at least all three bantam cockerels are two too many. And more cockerels not out there yet? Seems like a lot of boys!
Mary
It is a lot of boys. When I acquired them I didn't get any information and wrongfully assumed they were all pallets. However. The more I read the more I learn because bantams are different than regular size I suppose. They say it's much more difficult to tell genders bc they grow slowly, which I can attest to. I though the one I named Greta was a beautiful bantam hen but then over the weekend she developed her comb and wattles and starting crowing lol
In hindsight it was obvious bc of the size difference. However, formerly Greta seems to be the hens protector but don't know chicken behavior enough to know if it's a healthy connection. I got this photo this morning and am glad to see they can roam the coop without the larger ladies picking on them. He is definitely protecting her her from the larger ladies. Also, there have been no issues between this roo and the older one. It's introducing the one I have inside I feel might throw things off BUT he is still chirping like a chick and barely crowing. It's also a polish and my ladies definitely segregate based on looks. It's been a cluster 😳

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220830-102649_Chekoh.jpg
    Screenshot_20220830-102649_Chekoh.jpg
    346.1 KB · Views: 6
It is a lot of boys. When I acquired them I didn't get any information and wrongfully assumed they were all pallets. However. The more I read the more I learn because bantams are different than regular size I suppose. They say it's much more difficult to tell genders bc they grow slowly, which I can attest to. I though the one I named Greta was a beautiful bantam hen but then over the weekend she developed her comb and wattles and starting crowing lol
In hindsight it was obvious bc of the size difference. However, formerly Greta seems to be the hens protector but don't know chicken behavior enough to know if it's a healthy connection. I got this photo this morning and am glad to see they can roam the coop without the larger ladies picking on them. He is definitely protecting her her from the larger ladies. Also, there have been no issues between this roo and the older one. It's introducing the one I have inside I feel might throw things off BUT he is still chirping like a chick and barely crowing. It's also a polish and my ladies definitely segregate based on looks. It's been a cluster 😳
I guess I should also point out, my plan was to let the bantams produce babies and eventually move them to their own coop.

I have a pretty good sized flock....about 70+ chickens. I raise chickens for meat and eggs so I allow my broodies to hatch chicks on occasion which typically means that I end up with too many roosters. It's inevitable. I've also learned the hard way that most straight run chicks at the feed store or TSC are about 95% roosters and only 5% hens. Anyway, my solution to dealing with this issue is to create a bachelor pen for the extra roosters. I can always rotate out individual roosters if I want them to breed with the hens for genetic purposes. I only allow 4 adult roosters to interact with my 50-60 hens at a time. The rest are all penned up until it's time to cull.

If you don't want to cull or give away your extra roosters, I'd suggest penning up the others separately and only allow 1 out at a time with your hen.

I guess I should also point out, my plan was to let the bantams produce babies and eventually move them to their own coop.

@Mrs. K has very good advice in re: roosters.

One piece of that advice is that it's often best to have hens only for your first year or so while you learn about chickens.

How many birds do you have total?

How many are male and how many female? I'm sorry, I'm a little confused from the earlier posts.

I have a pretty good sized flock....about 70+ chickens. I raise chickens for meat and eggs so I allow my broodies to hatch chicks on occasion which typically means that I end up with too many roosters. It's inevitable. I've also learned the hard way that most straight run chicks at the feed store or TSC are about 95% roosters and only 5% hens. Anyway, my solution to dealing with this issue is to create a bachelor pen for the extra roosters. I can always rotate out individual roosters if I want them to breed with the hens for genetic purposes. I only allow 4 adult roosters to interact with my 50-60 hens at a time. The rest are all penned up until it's time to cull.

If you don't want to cull or give away your extra roosters, I'd suggest penning up the others separately and only allow 1 out at a time with your hen.
That's a good idea. When you say bachelor pen, how big are we talking? I have seen someone free range and they lock up their roosters in something smaller like a large dog crate. I have room, not so much materials but I'd like to make it work if I can

@Mrs. K has very good advice in re: roosters.

One piece of that advice is that it's often best to have hens only for your first year or so while you learn about chickens.

How many birds do you have total?

How many are male and how many female? I'm sorry, I'm a little confused from the earlier posts.
I have 9 full size hens, 1 full size bantam rooster, 1 bantam hen and rooster (not chicks but not full grown) and a rooster chick.

I never wanted roosters. At least not yet until I got my already established flock of ladies and regular egg production. I haven't even gone through molting yet lol.

A friend's son got 4 bantams from the feed store for Easter, they got too big and I had a coop. 2 of these got into the neighbors yard and succumbed to other wildlife. Said neighbors felt bad for my loss and decided to bring me 3 chickens: the full size rooster, chick rooster and full size laying hen (so actually I have 10 full size ladies). With that said, I wasnjust trying to help and BOY did I under estimate the stress it would cause lol

Really, I feel like if I can rehome the polish chick rooster, I might be good. I just don't want a neighbor to get annoyed and such.

I have 9 full size hens, 1 full size bantam rooster, 1 bantam hen and rooster (not chicks but not full grown) and a rooster chick.

I never wanted roosters. At least not yet until I got my already established flock of ladies and regular egg production. I haven't even gone through molting yet lol.

A friend's son got 4 bantams from the feed store for Easter, they got too big and I had a coop. 2 of these got into the neighbors yard and succumbed to other wildlife. Said neighbors felt bad for my loss and decided to bring me 3 chickens: the full size rooster, chick rooster and full size laying hen (so actually I have 10 full size ladies). With that said, I wasnjust trying to help and BOY did I under estimate the stress it would cause lol

Really, I feel like if I can rehome the polish chick rooster, I might be good. I just don't want a neighbor to get annoyed and such.

It's usually recommended to have about 10 hens per rooster.

That's not a hard-and-fast rule, and some breeders keep pairs and trios, but I can tell you that with two males and 21 ladies I had a lot of bare backs.

It's usually recommended to have about 10 hens per rooster.

That's not a hard-and-fast rule, and some breeders keep pairs and trios, but I can tell you that with two males and 21 ladies I had a lot of bare backs.
Especially if there are favorites. I have 4 roosters and 50-60 hens. I still have a handful of hens who are missing feathers on their backs or around their heads. Smh....

Back
Top Bottom