Newcomer

Dogtrainerchick

In the Brooder
Mar 15, 2017
Texas
Hi my name's Louise & up until last year life with my 4 hens was just fine. But one by one they died in quick succession last fall. One had an impacted egg, another got blocked or sour crop & went blind then shortly after started acting terribly (I couldn't let her live like that) then the third was snuck up on by a stray cat & I guess it scared her to death. There was no blood or carnage just lots of feathers everywhere. I have one girl left now & I thought I better do everything I can to give her the long, peaceful life she deserves. She is incredibly happy as she was the lowest in the pecking order & the others were brutal with her :(. She's gained weight & her comb is full of color & not covered in scabs or holes from being picked on by others. I'm hoping to learn more valuable information to keep her healthy & happy. So glad to be here!

Hi my name's Louise & up until last year life with my 4 hens was just fine. But one by one they died in quick succession last fall. One had an impacted egg, another got blocked or sour crop & went blind then shortly after started acting terribly (I couldn't let her live like that) then the third was snuck up on by a stray cat & I guess it scared her to death. There was no blood or carnage just lots of feathers everywhere. I have one girl left now & I thought I better do everything I can to give her the long, peaceful life she deserves. She is incredibly happy as she was the lowest in the pecking order & the others were brutal with her
sad.png
. She's gained weight & her comb is full of color & not covered in scabs or holes from being picked on by others. I'm hoping to learn more valuable information to keep her healthy & happy. So glad to be here!

I am so sorry to hear about the loss of most of your hens. I hope you find what your searching for here and she has a good healthy life.

Hi Louise---I'm glad you joined us and I hope that things moving forward are better for your chicks/hens. It is so hard to lose our babies no matter whether feathered or furred...so big hugs. I think you'll get a lot of info from this site as I am (new too!) and welcome!
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
G’Day from down under Louise
frow.gif
Welcome!

I am so sorry to hear of your losses
sad.png

You might want to also pop in and say hello on your local thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you ‘Find your State’s thread.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

Great to meet you Louise, especially since you are a "dog trainer chick." I am a major dog lover. Sorry for the misfortune of your 3 hens. At least the survivor got to benefit, sounds like she is acting like a born again hen. Some breeds of chicken are especially aggressive. Maybe you could get different breeds that would be kinder to your hen.

Back
Top Bottom