Newest Addition to Our Flock - ???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Equest94, Aug 18, 2010.

1. Equest94

Equest94 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2007
    New York
    I haven't really been on this site in a while, but I figured I'd make an appearance and share with you my newest addition to the flock (I just brought her home today!):

[​IMG]

I know she's a black, white crested Polish. I purchased her from the county fair. The man who bred/raised them told me she is approaching 4 months old. I was sworn to that she is in fact a pullet, but I have a slight twisting feeling in my stomach that makes me second guess the guy. Her tail feathers seem awfully big and all of my "chicken expert" (sarcastic) relatives are telling me I got played - I'm not sure if tail feathers like this are normal for hens (I'm not too familiar with the Polish) or if she really is a late-blooming he?

I haven't heard any attempts at crowing (in fact, she still "peep peeps" like a newly hatched chick) and her wattles are still pink and very very underdeveloped...

If it's not too much trouble, I would really appreciate someone taking a look and letting me know what gender they believe my bird to be - I guess need a little reassurance, haha.

Thanks in advance.

Whatever gender, this is the absolutely sweetest chicken ever - very tame and mellow. My other hens are absolutely petrified of her (to the point where they spook, scream, and flap away), so she resorts to hanging out with anyone who is around her - my dog and her have formed quite the bond within the few hours they have met - lol [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 18, 2010
  2. X2Farm

X2Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Homer, GA
    no idea if its a roo or pullet, but she's beautiful!!! I have one that just turned 4 weeks old today, Pepper, and she's an absolute HAM!!! Loves attention, and is colored exactly like yours!!!! Good luck with her! [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    I'd say girl right now, but that's a guess. If it's still peeping, it must have more developing to do.

4. Equest94

May 29, 2007
    New York
    (double post)

5. Equest94

May 29, 2007
    New York
    Thank you both.

I'm so confused by her - the feathering on her head (the shape of the feathers) seem to indicate female, but her tail just seems so tall and long... esp for 4 months -??? idk.

Anyone else have a better idea?

6. CarrieW

CarrieW Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2010
    Durango, CO
    Female, the male WCBP have more 'spikey' feathers on their heads, the females have more of a snowball. Congrats, she is a beauty!

7. atimme

atimme Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2010
    Chicago
    Looks like a hen! Congrats! [​IMG]

8. Equest94

May 29, 2007
    New York
    Awesome - this is great news! Thank you very much.

9. Equest94

May 29, 2007
    New York
    (double post again... sorry)

10. SparksNV

SparksNV Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Spanish Springs, NV
    Beautiful!!!

but I want to start singing Cruela, Cruela, Cruela deVil.....[​IMG]