Newest Addition to Our Flock - ???

Equest94

Songster
12 Years
May 29, 2007
New York
I haven't really been on this site in a while, but I figured I'd make an appearance and share with you my newest addition to the flock (I just brought her home today!):

40311_530508534979_49801234_31363227_5988534_n.jpg

I know she's a black, white crested Polish. I purchased her from the county fair. The man who bred/raised them told me she is approaching 4 months old. I was sworn to that she is in fact a pullet, but I have a slight twisting feeling in my stomach that makes me second guess the guy. Her tail feathers seem awfully big and all of my "chicken expert" (sarcastic) relatives are telling me I got played - I'm not sure if tail feathers like this are normal for hens (I'm not too familiar with the Polish) or if she really is a late-blooming he?

I haven't heard any attempts at crowing (in fact, she still "peep peeps" like a newly hatched chick) and her wattles are still pink and very very underdeveloped...

If it's not too much trouble, I would really appreciate someone taking a look and letting me know what gender they believe my bird to be - I guess need a little reassurance, haha.

Thanks in advance.

Whatever gender, this is the absolutely sweetest chicken ever - very tame and mellow. My other hens are absolutely petrified of her (to the point where they spook, scream, and flap away), so she resorts to hanging out with anyone who is around her - my dog and her have formed quite the bond within the few hours they have met - lol
lol.png

40314_530508594859_49801234_31363229_4425370_n.jpg

46145_530508619809_49801234_31363230_4665492_n.jpg

Last edited:
no idea if its a roo or pullet, but she's beautiful!!! I have one that just turned 4 weeks old today, Pepper, and she's an absolute HAM!!! Loves attention, and is colored exactly like yours!!!! Good luck with her!
fl.gif
thumbsup.gif

I'd say girl right now, but that's a guess. If it's still peeping, it must have more developing to do.

Last edited:
Thank you both.

I'm so confused by her - the feathering on her head (the shape of the feathers) seem to indicate female, but her tail just seems so tall and long... esp for 4 months -??? idk.

Anyone else have a better idea?

Female, the male WCBP have more 'spikey' feathers on their heads, the females have more of a snowball. Congrats, she is a beauty!

Back
Top Bottom