Newest flock members haven't eaten yet

SAustin

In the Brooder
Aug 18, 2016
Tennessee
So my two new guys haven't eaten all day. Should I be concerned?

Background: I bought them this morning from a lady selling at "farm day" at Tractor Supply; they're 2 month old Black Indian Runners. Not handled very often (or ever probably
1f614.png
) and they didn't show much interest in the pool, either. I've just left them alone to settle in with food and water easy access, and I go out every 30 minutes or so to check on them and talk to them, but they haven't left the corner of my back patio, under my Adirondack chair. In an hour it's "bed-time" for my Mallard so I'm hoping locking them up with food and water will entice them to finally eat and drink.

Hi there
They are still only settling in so won't eat straight away.
They should start to eat a bit tomorrow when the get more settled in
Goodluck.

They are today! Yay! They also got their first bath. Took them a minute to adjust but then I guess instinct kicked in and they started dunking and swimming and having a good ole time. I threw in some dry mealworms and at first they swam away from them (silly boys) but then one tried it, liked it and immediately started going after the rest. This gave his brother the idea and soon they had them all eaten and quacking for more.
2764.png
2764.png

I think so. They aren't fighting at all. The runners act very young and really just want to be close to Bill (my Mallard) but he is very unsure of them when they get too close. Lol. He just runs away. But this afternoon they all three were napping very close together. Their names are more than likely going to be Raisin and Hiccup. Our daughter threw out several suggestions and I liked those the best.
1f60c.png
(Bill did have a brother Ted but he recently passed away). So based on their progression the last 12 hours- I'd say they're going to be a happy flock

Back
Top Bottom