Getting ready for the big move outside

FNF

Chirping
Jul 2, 2023
Hi all,

I have three runner ducks that are about six weeks old. I have them sleeping inside in a kiddie pool (no heater anymore but I live in VA, it's warm) but the last few days they've been getting more and more outside time in our side yard, inside another little dog-fenced area that includes a little kennel with roof. They have a kiddie pool, and I put their food and water out there. I also watch them closely and bring them in at night. Their ultimate living area is an adjacent pasture with their duckhouse, and this weekend we'll be making a smaller perimeter with poultry fencing to keep them a little closer to the duckhouse and not free ranging just yet (it's a large space with two man-made ponds and I'm afraid I'll never get them in at night!). I plan/hope to introduce them to this space early next week with daytime spent out there, access to the duckhouse, etc. It's a bit tricky because I will have to tote them out there and back. Weather permitting (no bad storms) I may have them out there permanently later in the week, we'll see. My question is do you keep water and food (or just water) in the shelter? There is an opening on the house that goes into a very small run enclosed with hardware cloth - it's a small space mostly to let them have a little extra protected space at night when they're closed in but I could fit water out there easily. Is there anything that has been helpful to you when introducing your ducks to their permanent home? I've never raised ducklings before so I feel pretty invested - they're so sweet!

Runners are just the coolest ducks. When I moved mine outside in their coop I didn’t put water and feed inside. I tried but they made such a mess I have not done it again and they are 7 yrs down to 2 months never lost a one to not having feed and water inside. By 5-6 weeks it’s not needed.
I will say poultry fencing will not keep out predators it will only keep poultry in. Hardware cloth is the best for predator protection. As long as your Runners have a way to get out of the weather( doesn’t mean they will) but always give them a choice. Be sure to post pics of you littles we love seeing pictures.

I dont keep water in their house because they splash and play in it and make a terrific mess of the bedding.
They arent going to need the food water all night anymore if they are 2 months old unless its like 90 degrees in their coop then perhaps I would leave water in there but I found using an exhaust fan in one of their windows really cools it down and they are fine.
Why will you have to tote them to the ponds is there not a pathway you can walk and they follow you?

Runners are just the coolest ducks. When I moved mine outside in their coop I didn’t put water and feed inside. I tried but they made such a mess I have not done it again and they are 7 yrs down to 2 months never lost a one to not having feed and water inside. By 5-6 weeks it’s not needed.
I will say poultry fencing will not keep out predators it will only keep poultry in. Hardware cloth is the best for predator protection. As long as your Runners have a way to get out of the weather( doesn’t mean they will) but always give them a choice. Be sure to post pics of you littles we love seeing pictures.
Thanks for this!! They are so precious. I appreciate the info on the food and water, there is so much conflicting info online. The poultry fencing is to make a smaller perimeter, but the pasture does have good fencing as well, though I wish I could just keep them in a protective bubble. The run is hardware cloth, as well as over the two small windows in the house. I plan to do an apron around the perimeter of the house/run as well. We have some chickens nearby and so far so good with the poultry fencing inside the pasture. Do your ducks have access to an outdoor space at night (like a run) or completely closed in?

Attachments

• IMG_3921.jpg
    IMG_3921.jpg
    389.4 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3930.jpg
    IMG_3930.jpg
    642.3 KB · Views: 10
I dont keep water in their house because they splash and play in it and make a terrific mess of the bedding.
They arent going to need the food water all night anymore if they are 2 months old unless its like 90 degrees in their coop then perhaps I would leave water in there but I found using an exhaust fan in one of their windows really cools it down and they are fine.
Why will you have to tote them to the ponds is there not a pathway you can walk and they follow you?
I figured it'd be a disaster!

So currently they are in our "dog yard" right next to the house and still sleeping inside. The circle in the picture is their little house (no poultry fencing around it yet), and the two arrows are the two ponds. They won't have free access to the ponds or pasture yet because (a) there is a pipe under the road that needs a cattle panel over it and (b) I want them to adjust to living in the pasture, and hopefully get them to come in at night. It's a pretty large space and I also think we will need a couple of duck ramps into the ponds. They'll get a kiddy pool for the time being.

Attachments

• IMG_3943.jpg
    IMG_3943.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 11
Thanks for this!! They are so precious. I appreciate the info on the food and water, there is so much conflicting info online. The poultry fencing is to make a smaller perimeter, but the pasture does have good fencing as well, though I wish I could just keep them in a protective bubble. The run is hardware cloth, as well as over the two small windows in the house. I plan to do an apron around the perimeter of the house/run as well. We have some chickens nearby and so far so good with the poultry fencing inside the pasture. Do your ducks have access to an outdoor space at night (like a run) or completely closed in?
Precious babies💖 mine are completely locked in at night. Predators find out real fast where easy food is.

I do keep food and water in the mesh outdoor portion of my coop. At bedtime, I put chopped leaf lettuce in their water dish. They can’t wait for bedtime and easily go in.
Great idea! What does everyone’s “area” look like for ducks? How big, what fencing?

Great idea! What does everyone’s “area” look like for ducks? How big, what fencing?
2E567485-1A4F-4B1F-B9C0-A2E141557C64.jpeg

My ducks area includes my raised garden beds. The fence is three feet tall and made of 1” mesh-hardware cloth, attached to cedar fence boards placed horizontally, and nailed to 4 x 4 posts. My ducks are locked up at night and we have a 6 foot privacy fence surrounding the rest of the yard.

Back
Top Bottom