newly adopted 2 month olds won't come out of henhouse

jsmith2952

Songster
9 Years
May 22, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Hi all,

I'm a first timer and have recently been gifted three, two month old red sex links. I've had them now for over a week, and although I give them full time access to the pop door to the run, only one has ever come down the ramp, and I think it was by accident, because she's never made a return visit. I shooed them out into the run a few days ago because I felt that their very full days of being literally cooped up in their henhouse made for a messy place to sleep, and decided to change their shavings. They seemed fine once they were in the run, even eating some corn on the cob and greens I left for them there. They stayed in the run until 6 or so that evening, then as a group, returned to the henhouse. The thing is, they haven't done it again since. So, my question is: do I let them figure it out on their own and let them stay in the henhouse if they want, or should I "encourage" them out every day? Keep in mind that treats have NO impact whatsoever in getting them to come out the pop door. Ironically, when I open the little front door of the henhouse (the one that I do the feeding/cleaning through) all three of them balance on the door threshold and I swear they're going to just jump out and go exploring!

Thanks!

They will no doubt start coming and going on their own eventually. I've never used a ramp but I think some chickens have a time getting used to them, particularly if it's fairly steep or fairly narrow. At least they will go in the coop for you! Staying inside is just not natural for a chicken, so I wouldn't think it will take too long for them to give in. Chickens are afraid of change and it does take them some time, even to accept a new treat.

that sounds like good advice. I just have a hard time seeing them inside when it's so beautiful outdoors (not to mention that I'd like to think I serve some great treats!)

I'll give it another week or so.

Thanks,
Jen

They're only 2 months old, with no protector. They don't know the run is safe, they just know they're at the bottom of the food chain. They currently have a safe, secure place with food. They'll be pretty content for another month or so until they just mature enough to get adventerous and explore on their own. This is where raising prey animals differs so much from raising predators like dogs and cats---they're wired to explore.

I agree with everyone else. How big is your run? Some people have used different height cut tree trunks, say about 3 of them, to jump up and down on instead of a ramp. Put some food and water in your run, and start pushing them outside each day. They will get the hang of it. My chickens love having a flat hog pan full of cool water in their run so they can stand in it and walk through it to cool their feet in hot weather. They also drink it, so I dump it and fill it daily.

Last edited:
so, you think I should push them out every day? I like the idea of putting some water for them to walk through, too. I have food and water available both in and outside of the run. Currently, the run is 8x3 (and 4 feet tall), with plans on extending it to twice the size in another few weeks. I also want them to free range a bit everyday (only when I'm around though since we do have some very tough cats in our neighbourhood!) and I've heard that my chickens are the kind that aren't so quick to get away from predators...

They don't seem to have a problem getting up and down the ramp, but more like they're just "choosing" not to. The inside of their henhouse is a mess--I wish they'd just spread their poop in a bigger radius...might not look so bad to me otherwise.

I'm okay to leave them in--i get the whole "the world is a terrifying place" thing, but I just want them to explore...especially since they have the room.

thanks all for the feedback. it's so very appreciated! :)

just thought I'd update--after posting this thread, my three chickens decided that coop life was waaay overrated and came out! Now they happily wander (and poop!) wherever they please in my backyard! I guess it just takes time and patience (on my part, anyway!)

Thanks all, for the great advice!

Back
Top Bottom