Newly Adopted Duck, Has a Lot of Medical Concerns

There appears to be an infection on the little comb(?) thing above the nose, aside from that there is a little wheezing, but usually we hear that when we're applying the antiseptic to the bill (it seems to be helping with the cuts) and that may be due to stress (speaking of which any advice on how to make it less stressful for the poor thing, I really hate putting my little girl through this much stress even if it is for her own good)

Also, once I get the chance, Ill totally be looking into that! Thank you so much!!!
Am not sure there is any way to limit stress. I think just being slow and gentle and using a soft soothing voice is best you can do. Which I assume you are already doing! Maybe keeping them right near each other when you are treating one? I really like Miss Lydia's "dunking to wash face" idea. Self-treating would surely be less stressful if it improves them. I think in the long run they are just probably happy to have a safe place and be treated well and lovingly now! Just being able to BREATHE must have been such a relief for them!!

A new, frankly worrying development just occurred tonight. The infection itself is looking better, but when I went to apply the antiseptic, there a large amount of viscus, clear, fluid coming out of her mouth and nose. This seemed to almost be like vomit and I'm not sure if this is a product of stress or if it's coming from something else

A new, frankly worrying development just occurred tonight. The infection itself is looking better, but when I went to apply the antiseptic, there a large amount of viscus, clear, fluid coming out of her mouth and nose. This seemed to almost be like vomit and I'm not sure if this is a product of stress or if it's coming from something else
Any trouble breathing or eating/drinking yet? I am kind of wondering...should you check for an avian/poultry vet a further distance from you? I know that's easier said than done but...we are GLAD to be as much help and support as possible!! But those poor babies...They sure were let to get in a shameful state! So so sooo glad you are trying so hard to help them!

Does anyone on here know if anyone here is a vet and could tag them?? With no birdie vet in the area these ducks are, surely someone on BYC has a contact on the site?!?!

I think there is some wheezing, but nothing much else. My brother and I are actively looking for vets outside of the aria and attempting to scrape together the cash in the meanwhile. I'm also wondering if I should be separating the duck from her sister?

Also, we really appreciate everything you guys have done to help us out, it really means a lot to us

It's our pleasure. Most everyone here has a true heart for animals.

Is her sister getting better faster? I would think, with all the stress this probably is causing them, maybe it's best they stay close for comfort? I wish I was more help but I am pretty darn new to this chicky/ducky life lol. I'm more here for moral support.

Have you named the girls yet??

Thank you guys so much for your help She's looking so much better at this point. We're still not out of the woods yet but we're getting there
IMG_2243.JPG

Back
Top Bottom