Newly hatched baby, broody tried to kill

HeidiN

Songster
5 Years
Jan 8, 2017
North Idaho
We have a bad first time broody. She was not sure what to do with her new baby, and after a day of the poor thing staying hidden under her in fear of being pecked if the hen actually saw her, we gave the baby to another broody who happily accepted it into her family. Back to bad broody. She still had two eggs she’d been sitting on. One popped and was slow to zip. When it finally was almost out of the shell, hen pecked it’s head. It now has an open head wound. We took it away from Bad broody, but don’t know what we can do for it. We don’t have an incubator. Have her on it, hoping it will dry properly and heal? What are the chances of the poor thing recovering?

You said that you had another broody? Just place the eggs under the other broody and throw the bad broody out of the coop and force her back to her flock and never let her hatch out chicks again.
I had a bad broody that pecked the chicks the same way. Sadly, she killed like 2-3 chicks before I caught onto her. When I threw her out of the coop, she didn't care and went back to her flock. The 2-3 chicks I tried to save, but sadly they passed. On the other eggs, thankfully, I had another broody and she hatched out a pullet successfully and was an excellent mother to it. The reason why I'm saying never let the bad broody to hatch out chicks again, because I've heard of stories over here on BYC were the bad broody was bad with all it's hatches. Bad broodies is actually one of the biggest reasons why you should always keep a close eye on everything for a couple of days around hatching time. You never know a bad broody until it's being bad.

Oh, I hope you don't mind me asking... If you know, where in the flock's pecking order is your bad broody?

You said that you had another broody? Just place the eggs under the other broody and throw the bad broody out of the coop and force her back to her flock and never let her hatch out chicks again.
I had a bad broody that pecked the chicks the same way. Sadly, she killed like 2-3 chicks before I caught onto her. When I threw her out of the coop, she didn't care and went back to her flock. The 2-3 chicks I tried to save, but sadly they passed. On the other eggs, thankfully, I had another broody and she hatched out a pullet successfully and was an excellent mother to it. The reason why I'm saying never let the bad broody to hatch out chicks again, because I've heard of stories over here on BYC were the bad broody was bad with all it's hatches. Bad broodies is actually one of the biggest reasons why you should always keep a close eye on everything for a couple of days around hatching time. You never know a bad broody until it's being bad.

Oh, I hope you don't mind me asking... If you know, where in the flock's pecking order is your bad broody?
We do watch the broodies closely. I was surprised she sat as long as she did, she’s a flighty, Mediterranean class breed.
After looking at the baby more closely and searching some Threads on here, I could be a genetic issue, looks like the pics of chicks hatched with what was described as an exposed brain. Now I’m not sure what to do with it. Poor thing!!

We do watch the broodies closely. I was surprised she sat as long as she did, she’s a flighty, Mediterranean class breed.
Oh good. I'm glad that you do. Flighty? Hm. I wonder if that has something to do with her being bad....
After looking at the baby more closely and searching some Threads on here, I could be a genetic issue, looks like the pics of chicks hatched with what was described as an exposed brain. Now I’m not sure what to do with it. Poor thing!!
Start a new thread on exposed brain. I'm sure someone can help you out better then way. ;)

Back
Top Bottom