Newly hatched chick abandoned by mother, don't have a heat lamp

Burkle

In the Brooder
Jun 2, 2017
Hello a we put 6 eggs under a broody hen a few weeks ago and yesterday 5 of the 6 chicks hatched. We returned there this morning and the mother hen had abandoned the remaining egg. We could hear cheeping in the remaining egg so we hatched it ourselves and the chick in it was alive.

We've taken it inside but we are unsure how to keep it warm because we don't have a heat lamp or heat pad. We've been using a hair dryer from a distance for the past hour put we are worried we might be overheating it so we've been turning it on and off.

The chick is occasionally kicking, flapping and cheeping but is still very weak and hasn't really attempted to stand.

Is the hairdryer ok or is it overheating it? Is there anything else we could use to keep it warm? How long until the chick is healthy enough to return to its mother?

Any advice is appreciated

Hello a we put 6 eggs under a broody hen a few weeks ago and yesterday 5 of the 6 chicks hatched. We returned there this morning and the mother hen had abandoned the remaining egg. We could hear cheeping in the remaining egg so we hatched it ourselves and the chick in it was alive.

We've taken it inside but we are unsure how to keep it warm because we don't have a heat lamp or heat pad. We've been using a hair dryer from a distance for the past hour put we are worried we might be overheating it so we've been turning it on and off.

The chick is occasionally kicking, flapping and cheeping but is still very weak and hasn't really attempted to stand.

Is the hairdryer ok or is it overheating it? Is there anything else we could use to keep it warm? How long until the chick is healthy enough to return to its mother?

A regular light bulb can work in stead of a heat lamp. Do you have a thermometer? You want about 90 - 95 degrees for that baby.

Use a lamp, take the shade off and lay the lamp on its side securely propped up where the heat on the floor below the bulb is around 100 degree's(not higher and not much lower----you need to check it with a thermometer. IF and When the chick is up on its feet and moving around good---then you can return it to its mother. Good Luck

Thanks PD, I'll try that, the thermometer we have isn't very good but I think it works

How long do you think it'll take until the chick is healthy enough to go back to the mother?

Thanks PD, I'll try that, the thermometer we have isn't very good but I think it works

How long do you think it'll take until the chick is healthy enough to go back to the mother?
When healthy chicks hatch, in a little while they are on their feet moving around some-----yours sounds as though it has problems---which might be why the mother abandoned it. It might not make it, then it might----I am not there to see what its doing but I would give it some time to see if it can get on its feet. Good Luck

Ok we've got a lamp above it and it's about 95 degrees, however the lamp is very bright and I'm worried I might blind it, is that a risk or should it be ok cus it's eyes are shut?

Back
Top Bottom