Newly hatched chick can’t get his legs under him

Windy_Acres

Songster
Mar 3, 2015
Ontario, Canada
Trying to figure out how to upload a video, but here goes.

I hatched a little guy this morning about 9:00, so almost 9 hours ago. He had pipped early yesterday, then today zipped around about an inch and a half, then was banging and banging to get out for a couple hours. I finished the zip, and he popped out on his own shortly.

His umbilical cord was attached, and not quite closed. It is better, but still open maybe 1 mm, nice and dry, nothing hanging, just a more prominent scab than normal.

He is happy and alert, as long as I have him tucked in a little cup, with his legs straight up like he’s still in the egg. However, he cannot get his legs under him. He can sit upright, and his legs stick straight out. If he flops on his belly, he flops around. If he gets on his back, he is totally stuck.

My MIL is considering keeping him as a special needs chicken- any idea what we can do. It doesn’t seem to be getting any better as the day goes on :hit

I would get the chicken drinking some vitamin water that contains riboflavin (B2.) Poultry Cell, a few drops, would be good to use instead. NutriDrench does not have riboflavin, so use one with it. Sometimes it is helpful to place them in a heavy padded coffee cup or short glass to get them up on their legs. It might also need it’s legs hobbled closer together as you would with splayed legs.

Sounds like spraddle leg. No need to panic.
Give this a try:

how-to-make-hobbles-for-chicks-with-splay-leg-poultrydvm.png

As an aside, he is super cute. :love

I'd just make sure he has access to food and water in the meantime. Might not be time yet since he just hatched, but I figure it can't hurt.

Thanks, that helps. I’m having a little trouble getting the wrap to stay on, but we’ll figure something out. This definitely pointed us in the right direction. And yes, it’s super cute- too endearing!

Thanks, that helps. I’m having a little trouble getting the wrap to stay on, but we’ll figure something out. This definitely pointed us in the right direction. And yes, it’s super cute- too endearing!
I have heard of using bandaids as the connector if you can't get the vetwrap to stick. Just be sure not to stick them directly to his legs.

Bandaids cut in half lengthwise work well for splay legs. Here is an article with pictures:
http://www.longhill.farm/splayed-legs-and-curled-toes-in-chicks-how-to-fix/
Hm, ok, looks like bandaids can be stuck to legs. I'm personally hesitant because the sticky residue can get left behind. and I feel like the adhesive would be more likely to irritate than vetwrap, but not knocking anyone who has done it this way. I've never had to deal with it myself. I'm sure any short term inconveniences from the bandaids would far outweigh the consequences of untreated spraddle leg, so go for it if the other way isn't working.

Back
Top Bottom