Newly hatched chick can’t walk how do I fix it?

Cwat2006

Songster
Apr 2, 2020
I just hatched out 11 chicks and one of them has come out looking like it has splay legs but I think it may be worse as she can’t walk at all or even hold her self up she keeps falling over on her side when she try’s to move it just seems like she doesnt know how to walk and keeps trying to put her legs Above her head I’ve put some bandages on to hold her legs together but I’m worried it might be a bigger problem that may not be fixable I’ve got photos of her legs which is the black chick with the bandages and gave you a comparison to one of our healthy chicks which is the white one I just hope that I will be able to help her

Attachments

• 87B62F97-1128-4FE0-826A-901FE2CBF08A.jpeg
    87B62F97-1128-4FE0-826A-901FE2CBF08A.jpeg
    439.5 KB · Views: 21
  • 165E8FE4-7FCC-4EAC-9265-D47D66B20A68.jpeg
    165E8FE4-7FCC-4EAC-9265-D47D66B20A68.jpeg
    343.9 KB · Views: 10
I just hatched out 11 chicks and one of them has come out looking like it has splay legs but I think it may be worse as she can’t walk at all or even hold her self up she keeps falling over on her side when she try’s to move it just seems like she doesnt know how to walk and keeps trying to put her legs Above her head I’ve put some bandages on to hold her legs together but I’m worried it might be a bigger problem that may not be fixable I’ve got photos of her legs which is the black chick with the bandages and gave you a comparison to one of our healthy chicks which is the white one I just hope that I will be able to help her
We had this with a slightly older chick we gave her antibiotics and although she’s still a bit skittish but can walk

I think the bandage is a good idea. Does it look like she can walk better with the bandage?

It can sometimes help to give b or chick vitamins that include riboflavin in case of a deficiency. Try placing her in a small padded cup or wine glass for periods to help strengthen her legs. Some chicks may improve, if it is not caused by brain damage.

I'm having same problem ive tried the bandage but not working... Gonna try vitamins tomorrow she is a little shaky nd jerks sometimes... Anyone have any ideas please help .

I'm having same problem ive tried the bandage but not working... Gonna try vitamins tomorrow she is a little shaky nd jerks sometimes... Anyone have any ideas please help .
This thread is old, if you need help post your own thread in emergency thread with your concerns.
Please give details of what's going.

Unfortunately I’m pretty sure she had slipped tendons as it was not working and wounds started to appear on her joints she was culled shortly after but the techniques that we discussed before should work for splayed leg

Back
Top Bottom