Newly hatched chick care

Tiranni

Songster
Jul 20, 2019
Hutchinson, MN
We have a bad broody that has eaten a couple of her chicks. I was able to save 1, but is newly hatched... So new that it is still wet. We don't have an incubator yet. I have raised 1 day Olds before, but have no clue what to do with this little wet baby. It's currently in a towel, on a heating pad, on my lap.

I was planning on moving it into our heated brooder once it dried in a few hours. Any input for us?
IMG_20200608_205826.jpg

Last edited:
We have a bad broody that has eaten a couple of her chicks. I was able to save 1, but is newly hatched... So new that it is still wet. We don't have an incubator yet. I have raised 1 day Olds before, but have no clue what to do with this lettle wet baby. It's currently in a towel, on a heating pad, on my lap.

I was planning on moving it into our heated brooder once it dried in a few hours. Any input for us?View attachment 2184424
I think that's about all you can do. Let it dry then put it in the brooder.
Are there any other surviving eggs?

What do you mean that she killed the other, chicks? We're they pipped and actually hatchibg before she killed them?
Yes. She pulled them apart after they hatched. It was a sad, bloody mess. This one hatched a day later and I caught her picking at it. It was out from under her, and she was pecking at it. I didn't want to chance losing this one too.

Huh. Never heard of that before. Sorry for the loss. Honestly I put them in the brooder as soon as possible. I always remove them from the incubator as soon as I won't compromise other eggs.

One of my chicks that was hatched by my hen was abandoned before it hatched and by the time I found it was already dried, and I just warmed him in my hands before I put him in the brooder so it wasn't cold to hot right away

Back
Top Bottom