newly hatched chick with prolapse problem

Thanks, me too. But maybe it was best if he was doomed to have lifelong health issues. I really appreciate all of the responses. Sometimes it helps just to know that I'm not the only one who doesn't know what's going on. LOL

Sorry to hear you lost the little guy.
hit.gif

I think it just happens sometimes, my guys egg sac was stuck to the egg, so when he pulled to get out, he ripped himself open. I had to intervene when the others that had hatched started pecking at his injury. He's in with the flock now, but since he's the slowest, he's the first to take the abuse from the others. I gave him a couple hiding spots now, so he seems to be doing better. I had to keep him in, because if I took him out for any length of time, he'd never be able to integrate. (cuz he'd have 9 chickens attacking him instead of 5)

i had somthing like the picture on two of my chicks and they are three weeks and healthy now except a big sac didnt come out later it shrunk almost all the way back in and then dried up and i never had a problem since

Quote:
Are they behind in development compared to the others? I'm having trouble integrating my guy because he's slow and timid so he's an easy target.

new to this sorry. I have a red bourbon turkey that hatched this way. He is 2 days early. I had to help him a little bit out of his shell which i know is dangerous to the chick. did i do this to him and how can i fix him, if at all?

That can be caused by coming out too early, or it's a genetics. If you tried pulling the chick out of the shell; that can cause it to. Chicks like that, actually cannot survive, but it's difficult. You have to make sure that their environment is moist enough. And that you have to keep it (that part of the chick) from drying out. So you have to add warm water to it on occasion. And all you can do is just wait-and-see. It might take A few days for it to go back in. If it doesn't then the chick might not survive. Or will survive, but it will be extended, and it won't live properly.

Back
Top Bottom