NEWLY HATCHED CHICK WITH UMBILICAL INJURY...

HugHess

Chickrack Addict
5 Years
Jul 14, 2014
Go BROWNS
I have a newly hatched baby that is one day late from rest of hatch. When he popped his top off and began to rest the one day olds came over to say 'hello' and ended up kicking the rest of his shell off. I noticed a small red dot on his umbilicus... they began 'picking' on him so I put him in a bowl with kitchen liner and let him rest and dry off for a few hours. When I tried to re-integrate him they started up again and that's when I noticed that the small dot had become a swollen red bump, about the size of a small pea. I immediately Q-tipped Bacitracin on the wound and replaced the bowl with a large, clear Tupper-ware container w/liner where he is now resting. He was also not walking well, more on his hocks than his feet, which seem to not want to stay flat and support him very well. They are not the 'hard' curl you have seen with vitamin deficiencies, etc., but enough to concern me on top of the injury.
Will be prepping his 'sandals' for realignment of feet and hobble brace for his legs, just in case it's not just me overreacting...
In the meantime is there anything else I can be doing, besides starting to give him Save-A-Chick, in dropper form, starting tomorrow? I have given him nothing tonight because I figure he can and should just be concentrating on resting and healing and I don't want to add more stress to his situation...
This is only my second hatching and this is my first 'Boo-boo' baby.
Any input on anything else I should/could be doing will be greatly appreciated.
To top it off I am having problems with my phone and am currently unable to post a pic of the injury, but will try to add it as soon as possible.
Thanks...

Hi, sorry you have a poorly chick :hugs. Chicks that hatch late Tend to be the weak ones with ailments. The others have probably seen it as easy target with it not being too well, as soon as they hatch they have the natural instinct to start pecking its how they learn there beak is like their hands. I think you have done all you can to help this chick survive I would try to keep the area clean and dry as this is a open target for infection. I really do hope it makes a full recovery and hopefully when it feeling better and stronger it will be able to return to its hatch mates. Wishing you the very best of luck :fl

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom