newly hatched chickens with um.... bulge.... please help

motherCluck3r

Hatching
Feb 25, 2015

three of our eggs hatched with chicks like this. They have large raw or possibly open navel bulges. Even the ones that have dried out and fluffed their feathers still have it and currently we are keeping them separated from the others.

What is this? Is it curable? How do I treat it? and [insert any other questions I have left here]?

These chicks are from eggs found by my child here and there on the ground as we live in a neighborhood with many loose chickens that lay all over the place. I'm worried it is from dirty eggs or sick hens laying them but have no idea. They seem to be fine otherwise.... however I have no previous experience.

You can leave it alone. It's all a part of the process... it usually gets absorbed shortly after hatching and drying.

If it is still a stubborn button, you can take a q-tip rolled in some anti-biotic cream *without painkiller* and geeeently press on it... It may need a little encouragement to pop back in.

You are wise to keep them separated. If anyone starts pecking, they could disembowel each other, and NO ONE wants to wake up to that. You could disguise it with a touch of iodine to hide the exposed red tissue. :)

MrsB

thanks so much for taking the time to tell me that. I had looked all over the web today trying to figure it out and it was not mentioned in any of the books my child had.

Back
Top Bottom