tabbitha1000

Chirping
9 Years
Jul 5, 2010
Clinton, Utah
What vaccines should be given to newly hatched chicks?
Also, some other clarification on vaccines?
I’m in Northern Utah, while our local extension says that we don’t have wet pox in the region, we do. Over 30 customers have reported to our local IFA chicken lady, as well as vets.
Our house is located between a few bird refuges, so we get geese and ducks passing through in migration, as well as the everyday wild birds. So, I wonder if I should vaccinate against wet pox on my new hatched? What about my older birds? I don’t fully understand the “within four weeks of laying” rule.

Most 'backyard' chickens might be vaccinated against Marek's disease as day-olds at the hatchery, or sometimes at home, although that's much less commonly done.
Fowl pox is a slow moving disease, that when it arrives can be vaccinated against, and will still help in the flock. The correct vaccine can be used in day-olds, and would be good in the face of an outbreak.
Talk to your state poultry vet, or the vaccine manufacturer, or some other actual expert. I'm NOT, fortunately never had to deal with this! Mary

I'm guessing that the majority of BY chickens receive no vaccinations. Agreed with Mary, you need local advice: your county ag extension office should be able to put you in touch with a poultry expert who could advise. My understanding is that wet pox is simply fowl pox that has infected the respiratory system.

Back
Top Bottom