Newly Hooked on Backyard Chickens!! Help with my breed and Gender??

wantabefarmer

Hatching
7 Years
Apr 22, 2012
My family and I are first time Chicken raisers and wanted to jump right in head first! LOL. We are absolutely HOOKED and can't spend enough time with the chicks. We bought (or bought from the trough at TSC) 1 EE, 6 red pullets, 1 Tetra Link, 2 Amberlinks, and 3 Bared Rocks. we started with 7 and I couldn't stop my self from buying more so about 4 weeks later bought 6 more.

We knew that we would get some Roo's from the bunch and the more I read about identifiers the more I get confused. So I am wanting to get some input and more importantly show off our chicks. My 7 year old took the pictures. I will try to post better ones of them Later.

If you spot something cool or notable please tell.

Thanks
fl.gif

Sandra our EE

12 oclock is "Pokey", 4 o'clock is "Chief", 7 O'clock is "Tanya"

Dragonoid

Top right is "Chief", the Red is "Leonitas", from left to right at the bottom"Pokey", Martha, and "Tanya"

Sandra

Last edited:
PYour first one looks like an Easter egger rooster.

The white ones maybe tetra tints or white rock?

The red one looks like a red star or red sex link?

Last one looks like a rooster again. If it has a pea comb like the first chick, then another Easter egger cockerel.

The first and last are boys, not sure about the whites or red. Good luck. Combs turning dark pink or red before 16 weeks of age is a great indicator of boys. About 8 weeks of age, saddle feathers grow in at the base of the back near the tail. Saddle feathers are long skinny.

I don't see any barred rocks in your photos.

Last edited:
The white birds have some Leghorn in them, don't get too worried about combs--they grow big and red faster than the other breeds. What concerns me about some of those white birds and the red/white bird is the size of their legs--but I can never keep straight what they mix with each Leghorn hybrid so they might be normal pullet legs.

ETA: I think Pokey looks the most roo-ish of the white birds.

Last edited:
I agree about Pokey. TSC posted The two white birds as being Amberlinks. They said a cross between rhode Islands and a Delaware??

I agree about Pokey. Funny thing is he/she came out of the red pullet trough. Lol

Anything that is a sexlink should be female. I agree that the Easter Egger is a male, it is too pretty to be a girl.

I thought that about Pokey too, might be male. Looks kinda round for a Wht Leghorn to me. There are so many crosses, they are hard to keep up with.

That is a bummer if Sandra is a cockerel. She/ he is the most docile and friendly chick we have
Not to mention how beautiful.

I don't have pictures of the barred rocks or the other reds yet. They are still not fully feathered or near as comfortable around the kids as the older chicks.

How old are they? (sorry if I missed it, but couldn't find it)

The EE looks like a hen to me.
I agree that pokey looks like a roo. Only one in the bunch (to me, at least).

Back
Top Bottom