Newly purchased and very sick chickens

tthomas76

In the Brooder
Nov 3, 2023
Hi Ya'll. I had such a great and positive experience when my first roo got sick. I purchased 6 birds from a local family, 4 hens and 2 roos. 3 were RI Reds and the other 3 Silkies. I am finding it very hard to tell which of the siklies is a roo, but right after losing my first RI red roo this past Saturday, I believe the silkie I have in my bathroom right now is also a roo, he has the same symptoms as the other roo, I do not think he will make it through the night. I have deworming tablets on the way, if he makes it through the night, I will be able to give him one as soon as they get here, I gave an undiluted 5ml dose of Corid, as well they have all been on the corid water for 3 days now. OMG this is the worst. The people I got them from insist none of their other chickens are sick, yet I’ve had nothing but issues with the ones I bought from them since getting them, Yes, I have them separated, I am home all day and have done my best to keep the bulling down, I feed them separately I keep them all locked up in different coops all night. So far, my original two have not had any issues, I have been checking their crops at night and in the morning and making sure they are drinking, I have also been keeping a close eye on the new birds which is how I found this other one sick this afternoon. What do I do at this point? I am not getting any eggs from the hens, and it is costing me way more money to treat them and mine for illness than I’m getting in egg benefits. I paid for these birds, and I feel like at this point I should request that I be able to bring the 4 remaining birds back for a full refund. I did not know that vets would give me cause of death on a bird until it was too late, but I will be making sure this one in my bathroom is tested prior to making any moves to return the other birds, but I wanted advise, it is very hard on me to watch these birds die basically of asphyxiation because they cannot breath they are so sick. Any help/advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Sorry for your loss. Can you give some of the symptoms you have seen? Has there been gasping, sneezing, wheezing, rattles, bubbles in eye, swelling around an eye or face, or nasal discharge? The Corid undiluted oral drench dosage is 0.1 ml per pound, so about 0.5 ml for a grown standard chicken, not 5 ml. And probably 0.2 ml for a silkie. The water dosage is 2 tsp per gallons for 5 days.

Sorry for your loss. Can you give some of the symptoms you have seen? Has there been gasping, sneezing, wheezing, rattles, bubbles in eye, swelling around an eye or face, or nasal discharge? The Corid undiluted oral drench dosage is 0.1 ml per pound, so about 0.5 ml for a grown standard chicken, not 5 ml. And probably 0.2 ml for a silkie. The water dosage is 2 tsp per gallons for 5 days.
All the symptoms you just named are what I am dealing with. and my mistake I looked at my dropper again and it is a .2ml, and the other syringe I used for the red was .5ml. It’s been a very long weekend for me, and I am still just trying to decide how to get this poor guy out of his misery. It is very sad and frustrating to pay money out for birds and spend even more trying to nurse them back to health, while being told they do not have any sick birds….

Bringing in any new sick chickens is really risky because they can bring in infectious diseases, some of which are permanent on a property such as Marek's disease and some like MG that can make any existing flock carriers for life if they catch it, even if the symptoms are treated successfully.
When you say permanent on the property, you mean like any birds I brign may get sick now?

It would be good to get a necropsy if you lose another. That is the best way to know what you are dealing with. Yes, many respirator diseases and Mareks can affect other chickens brought in. Once you find out what you are dealing with, it may be that once these chickens are gone, you will be able to start over in a few weeks.

It would be good to get a necropsy if you lose another. That is the best way to know what you are dealing with. Yes, many respirator diseases and Mareks can affect other chickens brought in. Once you find out what you are dealing with, it may be that once these chickens are gone, you will be able to start over in a few weeks.
I'm trying to get the people I bought them from to come get them and give me my money back. I'll just get another 4 or 6 hatchlings to raise like I did my two and go from there. I am going to add in deworming every two months just to make sure they never get anything.

Back
Top Bottom