Newly widowed goose "sleeping around" ??!

Keep us updated please...
Some of her eggs were fertile some were not, none hatched. After a week past due she still wouldn't get off her nest. So I removed it. she them adopted a ducks nest. So I took her out of the duck/goose pen and am allowing her to free range with the other geese around my pond.
I am so diappointed she didn't hatch anything. She REALLY wanted to.

Some of her eggs were fertile some were not, none hatched. After a week past due she still wouldn't get off her nest. So I removed it. she them adopted a ducks nest. So I took her out of the duck/goose pen and am allowing her to free range with the other geese around my pond.
I am so diappointed she didn't hatch anything. She REALLY wanted to.
I am so sorry, would have been nice if you could have found some goslings for her.

A friend had some 2 week old goslings I could have gotten. It never occurred to me that should would adopt them. I know ducks won't adopt other's ducklings. Is it common for geese to adopt other's goslings?

It is very common -- even single ganders will adopt young goslings. All the geese take care of the babies no matter whose they are . . . so it might not be too late . . .
I agree, and it will boost her spirits up. I have a gander who has adopted ducklings.
love.gif

I agree, and it will boost her spirits up. I have a gander who has adopted ducklings.
love.gif

I have a young goose who has adopted ducklings, too. Three are a few weeks old, purchased from Metzer Farms, and two are duck-hatched just a couple of weeks old. Momma duck doesn't mind - it was her first hatch, she lost one duckling early and then decided Kate the goose could have the remaining two.

I have a young goose who has adopted ducklings, too. Three are a few weeks old, purchased from Metzer Farms, and two are duck-hatched just a couple of weeks old. Momma duck doesn't mind - it was her first hatch, she lost one duckling early and then decided Kate the goose could have the remaining two.

Isn't it precious to see how the will take on these ducklings like their their own. Have to share this: He doesn't want to leave their side the first one he took on as Papa goose is going on 5 weeks this little one was hatched on the 16th and I have to make him come out of the house where duckling and mama are right now. it's so sweet.
love.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom