News on my Charlie Girl

gritsar

Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!
14 Years
Nov 9, 2007
SW Arkansas
And it's not good. Charlie went to the vet today; actually two vets. The one that did an exam and x-rays and our regular vet who worked out a game plan with us.
Charlie has kidney cancer and it has metastized to her lungs.
hit.gif

The thing is, today was one of the best days Charlie has had in a long time. She got in and out of the jeep just fine, we went to the park, she met some kitties at the one vet's office, and she enjoyed an sonic hamburger.
I really like the vet we took her to for the x-rays. He's young (omg, they are graduating them young - or I'm old). Just a few years out of vet school, so he's up on all the latest in vet. medicine. He said Charlie was the most cooperative dog he's ever x-rayed and he said she was super sweet. Like I didn't already know that.
Anyhow, between the two vets they convinced us that Charlie can have a few? more pain-free days. She's on steroids, which really seem to be helping and eating again since they got her nausea controlled.
Our regular vet's DH gave us a great idea for getting the meds down. Use a straw to poke a hole in a vienna sausage, insert pill. Why didn't we think of that???
So, she's with a us for a few more days. We are going to make them the best days of her life. At least now when the time comes both me and my DH will be able to accept it.
Thanks y'all for the support thru all of this.
hugs.gif

aaww. im so sorry bout your charlie. make sure she is the happiest.. give her everything she loves and more. let her sleep where she wants but maybe doesn't get to much. let her eat what she may not be able to normally eat but loves.. but im sure you know all this. i wish i had the chance to do that to my sweet dog. she was old, and we didn't have the money to do the blood work to figure out what was wrong.. and she may or may not have lived much longer anyway with her age.. she may have had cancer, her teat areas were swelled and hard, and it went down into her back legs.. and it affected her spine. or it could have been something else. she was an outdoor dog and didn't come in the house a whole lot. she was a sweety but... i miss her still.

give your charlie lots of love and hugs and kisses and let her know you will always love her. and give her a hug for me too. ihave a soft heart for dogs.

Sue

I'm glad to hear that both you and your DH are on the same page now. Now you can enjoy her for her last few days.

Thanks y'all.
We just went grocery shopping for Charlie, at my DH's insistence. Three bags of her favorite cookies and bags of chicken for me to boil up for her.
Sure hope she enjoys this.

Kisses to Charlie-Girl ---
We could all take a lesson from dogs and 'live in the moment' --
I am so glad that you'll have a bit more quality time with her.
It is always hard ---
SueR

Quote:
Here is one of my favorite pics of Charlie:

Charlie2.jpg

I had a heck of a time getting to take her meds this morning. The one pill is tiny and if I'm real careful I can hollow out a space in one of her cookies and slip it to her that way. The other (the prednisone) is much larger and hard to hide. Finally got them both down and it's wonderful to see her appetite pick up; even if it is due to the medicine.
Kitty seems to know something's up. She's stopped aggravating Charlie every second of every day. She just sits by Charlie now and keeps her company.

hugs.gif
Its never easy is it? I can tell you have given Charlie a good life and she has been SO lucky to have you!!!

Back
Top Bottom