Next box fix for no broken eggs

aussieheelr

Songster
10 Years
Jun 16, 2009
western slope, Colorado
I was getting some broken eggs for a while and the ladies kept kicking out all the straw/shaveing whatever I put in there. THEN I cut up some scrap carpet from our install in OUR house and lined their nest boxes with it... not a single cracked egg since. Works like a charm.

How do you keep the carpet clean?
idunno.gif

Any other solutions? I thought about lining the coop with some cushion but worry about attracting bacteria and other stuff. I can't seem to keep the shavings in the nesting boxes. I have cracked eggs along with broken and rolled (I believe on purpose by the other laying pullet) down to the floor cracked to pieces eggs. Any solutions is very much appreciated. I thought of putting another bar, higher, so that the shaving won't come out as easily and hopefully control the egg dropping to non-existent but hopefully I have more insight from the experts here. Thank you in advance.

Wouldn't the chickens peck at it? I'm afraid they would injest it. But great idea. Are you talking about the ones with the holes (grid-like foam matting)? Thanks for sharing.

I've had no problem with pecking. sometimes they will fluff it up when they spread the straw, but have had no broken or cracked eggs since I installed it. As with anything dealing with any kind of livestock or animal nothing is really 100% true in their behavior. It just seems to work for me. It's all tongue in cheek. Oh, it is the grid type matting. I guess you cold even use burlap.
fl.gif

I added an additional board across the front of the nest box to hold the shavings in. I added more shavings so that if they try to scratch to make a nest the shaving fall back in not allowing them to get down to the hard wood at the bottom of the box. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom