1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

next step for 3 week old chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Sandrachx, May 24, 2008.

1. Sandrachx

Sandrachx Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2007
    Chelsea, MI
    i have never had baby chicks so i am not sure how to transition them from the box with the lamp in it. it is apparent that they need more room now (4-silkie bantams; 4 packing peanut roosters) and i was thinking of a large box with a screened top. how long do i keep them in that? when do i let them see daylight? they have been in the garage for 3 weeks. should i give them short roosting poles now? how old before i can put them with the other hens i have? seemed easier to have adults only, but it is such fun to watch them grow and explore!

2. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Mine are roosting already and they are only 5 days old. I would give them some poles of some sort. I took apart my dryer thingy for clothes. That cheap thing that unfolds and can hold wet laundry. The love it. If it's warm enough I would bring them outside with a fence around them and let the forage for a while. I have mine in a family room where the sun comes in a bit and they LOVE laying in the sun.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Depending on where you live and the temps., you could be taking them outside now for some supervised playtime. The sunshine is good for them, as it is for all living creatures. They'll enjoy the chance to forage too.
    You could offer them short roosts now too. We made our first roosts out of PVC, about 18" long. Put PVC "Ls" at each end, then another short piece of PVC, and PVC "Ts" as the stand. Total cost was about $1.50 each. They've worked great and are easy to clean.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by