Next to None Eggs Since a Few Months

fatimastic

Songster
Aug 26, 2020
Pakistan
I have 7 Australorps and 1 roo. They had contracted respiratory disease when they were young.
They never laid a lot of eggs. The most I got were 6 when I had 8 hens last year, just once.

We have really harsh summers here, upto 45⁰ C, so I didn't expect them to lay much and they didn't. We get 2-1 eggs daily. Sometimes 4 if we are lucky.

Since last week, the weather has been really pleasant. Not at all hot, but rather warm. Around 30⁰C.

They are just sitting in the egg place and singing egg songs. We get 4-5 egg songs daily with 1-2 eggs.
To check if they are sitting in the egg place, I place an egg and just fluff up they beddings. All 3 of the places have this hole in the middle (when they sit in the beddings) by the end of the day. Which means that they are sitting there and are singing egg songs, but there are no eggs.
I have placed oyster shells there.
Their egg season has never been this dry.

Any idea on what is to be done?

I have 7 Australorps and 1 roo. They had contracted respiratory disease when they were young.
They never laid a lot of eggs. The most I got were 6 when I had 8 hens last year, just once.

We have really harsh summers here, upto 45⁰ C, so I didn't expect them to lay much and they didn't. We get 2-1 eggs daily. Sometimes 4 if we are lucky.

Since last week, the weather has been really pleasant. Not at all hot, but rather warm. Around 30⁰C.

They are just sitting in the egg place and singing egg songs. We get 4-5 egg songs daily with 1-2 eggs.
To check if they are sitting in the egg place, I place an egg and just fluff up they beddings. All 3 of the places have this hole in the middle (when they sit in the beddings) by the end of the day. Which means that they are sitting there and are singing egg songs, but there are no eggs.
I have placed oyster shells there.
Their egg season has never been this dry.

Any idea on what is to be done?
Are they eggbound? wish them the best!

Is it possible you have an egg eater? I had one that would leave little to no mess in the nest which is why it took me forever to find out she was doing it.
Mine also all sing together every single time one of them lays an egg. Even the rooster joins in!
Yes! I love the “egg song” its so beautiful, kinds gets crackly at the end, still though! 😂 (and a egg eater makes total sense)

Is it possible you have an egg eater? I had one that would leave little to no mess in the nest which is why it took me forever to find out she was doing it.
Mine also all sing together every single time one of them lays an egg. Even the rooster joins in!
We did have an egg eater before, many montha back, but not anymore. No one smells like yolk.

I have to go check them if they are safe since we have a little predator situation going on here. Don't worry, their coop is now predator safe, although they did get in a few time before we renovated it.

They are all around 1, 1 and a half. Not that old I believe.
They might start their first molt at this age.

The respiratory infection you mentioned could have been IB = Infectious bronchitis, which can lead to a damaged reproductive tract, resulting in false layers or reduced egg production.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom