Niacin Deficiencies in Goslings & Ducklings (growth & leg problems)

My day old ducklings are going to be arriving on may 6. This is the food I ordered to get them started on, I'm hopping it will have all the nutrition needed for them to be healthy. I have never own any ducks nor chickens before, I'm a brand new mom! Would someone please let me know if I ordered the right food?
Being able to find duck starter is great, most of us have to use an all flock or chick starter and add niacin, but yours show it has niacin supplement in it so hopefully you'll not have any leg problems. Congrats on your ducklings, what breed did you order and
welcome-byc.gif
have you seen this https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/750869/raising-and-caring-for-ducklings#post_10611711

Last edited:
I ordered 6 ducklings and paid a little extra to have them sexed, if all goes well ill end up with no drakes. I ordered 2 runners one black and one brown, two kaki Campbell's and two golden 300. Their coop was just delivered last night.
[/IMG][/IMG]

The one problem I have with the feed is where the niacin is listed in the ingredients. It's pretty far down on the list...about the same placement as Purina Flock Raiser. You may want to add some additional niacin anyways. I have found the Blue Seal to have a decent niacin level but I still add niacin to my duck's water as she does have issues with one of her legs. After she grabs the pill out of her water bowl she is able to get up and walk correctly. I think some ducks just have a harder time assimilating the niacin from the feed so that they don't run into problems.

Good to know, I will make sure to add some to their feed. Thank you. Btw, for how long do I need to make sure the get the right amounts of Niacin?
I gave it to mine for 2 months, but mine were able to go out and forage then. Once ducks can start foraging for themselves they will supply the extra niacin they need with bugs and such. Mmmm, lol. This last winter I did make sure that mine got some added to their water every now and then.

Back
Top Bottom