Niacin deficiency?

Jul 24, 2019
Boerne TX
Hi all!
I just brought home this little gosling from my friend’s that was hatched on Sunday. The other gosling that it hatched with didn’t make it. Today, I found this one on its back. I turned it back over, but he can’t stand and fell over again. I went to our feed store, but they didn’t have any brewers yeast. The soonest I can get some is tomorrow from Walmart. Anything else I can do for him for now? I’m trying to give him some electrolytes now. He seems pretty alert and healthy other than the fact that he likes to fall over onto his back. I’m not really sure what I’m going to do tonight as I’m holding him up on my lap under a heat lamp for now. Any help would be appreciated.

I have the rooster booster poultry cell. I haven’t been able to get the brewers yeast anywhere yet so I’ll try that. Little dude is doing very well and eating and drinking, he just can’t really get around on his own. He’s being well loved tho lol

On the off chance you have Moringa it is packed with nutrients.

When you do have a chance try to get some sort of b complex, save a chick, or rooster booster poultry cell. Niacin deficiency is the #1 most likely cause for this but deficiencies in other b vitamins like thiamin can also do this along with insufficient vitamin E & A.

Keep in mind vitamins like C and the Bs are water solvable so it’s hard to overdose on them, A & E stick around in the body longer.

It s a sad story.
I had ducklings with that problems.
I hope some expert will get to you, but frankly, it doesn't sound very promising. Have you taken him to a vet?

My original idea is water. Why, because it is his natural surrounding. Maybe his legs would be better with him having a chance to go freely yo water and to develop legs there.

But, still, if you can, find a vet. Or contact any vet online.

Id like to do the best I can for the little guy, but unfortunately a vet is not an option right now.
I’ve been reading about Vitamin E gel capsules. Has anyone had luck with those? If anyone has had success, how much and how often did you give them?

How is he doing? @floppysquirrel04 Did you find a solution to this?
He didn’t make it, unfortunately. We kept giving him the vitamin E capsules, and rooster booster in his water, but he slowly got wry neck and was just suffering. He didn’t seem sick or in pain, but he could stand, and he couldn’t eat or drink on his own because of his neck. We ended up having to just put him down

Update: he’s been doing better all day up until about an hour ago, when his legs started to look worse. I have him on a flock starter right now, softened with water and just a little bit of poultry cell. His water also has that in it. His legs look more like splayed leg now than they did before, but instead of going opposite directions one goes out forward. The other one he doesn’t seem to want to use as much. I tried using two bandaids to bring them back to a normal position, but I took it off because that made him fall over onto his back and he couldn’t get up. I’m kind of at a loss now. I think that maybe if I could get his legs brought together above his hocks then it would help, but I obviously can’t use a bandaid because of his down. Any suggestions? I put him in a bath of warmish water and he seemed to enjoy it, but I mainly wanted to see how he used his legs to swim. The one that juts forward was normal, but his other leg didn’t move as much so he could only turn one way.

Back
Top Bottom