Niacin Deficient?

Carleejade

Chirping
Apr 14, 2021
Hi All,

I have a year-old Saxony female who is usually very active however Monday evening to present she struggles to walk. I was told Niacin Deficient on other platforms. I started giving her Niacin in both food and water, peas and brewers yeast. Can't share the video but her feet won't stay flat and she cannot stand with legs straight.

- please correct if wrong -
The more I read I am learning that ducks need Niacin every day? True/False?

I'd love to hear the ways you give your ducks Niacin.
My ducks are free-fed, watered x2 a day but I feel I need to change my way of raising ducks.
Get peas and other veggies every other day.

All advice will be appreciated.

what do you feed her? usually duck feed has enough niacin
I feed Hen scratch. It's a mixture of grains and I add black oil sunflower seeds. I will contact our feed place and see if they sell something different but I doubt it. Any recommendations I could ask the feed store?

I feed Hen scratch. It's a mixture of grains and I add black oil sunflower seeds. I will contact our feed place and see if they sell something different but I doubt it. Any recommendations I could ask the feed store?
that’s the problem. scratch is a treat and i’ve heard it’s not good to feed more than a tablespoon per duck/chicken per day. ducks need a duck specific feed to be healthy, not even chicken feed is right for them

chewy.com and tractor supply both have duck feed that you can order online for them

nothing wrong with corn. Especially added with sunflower seeds.
Thye do need niacin every day as does every living animal on this planet and we get it from our diet. Sunflower seeds and bakers yeast are good sources.
So if they have been regularly getting sunflower seeds a niacin deficiency is highly unlikely. Their formulated feed should already contain enough.

edit: oh right I read wrong, they weren't getting a formulated feed, just corn, yes that can cause a deficiency then, just corn alone is not good enough

Making a definitive diagnosis over the internet is impossible, and we are not veterinarians (that I know of.) But personally I agree that it is important to have ducks on a commercially prepared complete diet. My avian veterinarian recommends that I feed my ducks Mazuri waterfowl, and you can purchase it online at chewy. It has been formulated by avian nutritionists and veterinarians to meet the nutrition requirements of waterfowl, including niacin.

There are surely other appropriate duck foods, I just don't use them.

that’s the problem. scratch is a treat and i’ve heard it’s not good to feed more than a tablespoon per duck/chicken per day. ducks need a duck specific feed to be healthy, not even chicken feed is right for them

chewy.com and tractor supply both have duck feed that you can order online for them
Iv contacted the feed store and we are switching feed. Unfortunately, they don't sell duck feed but it is something that other duck owners around town purchase regularly. #smalltownproblems.

Making a definitive diagnosis over the internet is impossible, and we are not veterinarians (that I know of.) But personally I agree that it is important to have ducks on a commercially prepared complete diet. My avian veterinarian recommends that I feed my ducks Mazuri waterfowl, and you can purchase it online at chewy. It has been formulated by avian nutritionists and veterinarians to meet the nutrition requirements of waterfowl, including niacin.

There are surely other appropriate duck foods, I just don't use them.
Thank you for the suggestion. I will check them out and do more research on the types of duck feed and where to get them. I live in a small town so unfortunately if it's not available in town ill have to order online if it's affordable.

Thank you for the suggestion. I will check them out and do more research on the types of duck feed and where to get them. I live in a small town so unfortunately if it's not available in town ill have to order online if it's affordable.
I understand, I live in a small town as well. My local store can't order it for me, but the feed stores in the next towns over can. Mazuri is more expensive than other foods, but the bags are huge. Ordering it from chewy is the least expensive way to get it I have found, and if you purchase mealworms (or something else if you have other pets) shipping is free.

In my case I believe I'm saving money by feeding a higher quality food. My duck supplement expenses decreased. My ducks are a lot healthier since switching, so the extra expense is worth it since I go to the vet when mine aren't well.

Back
Top Bottom