Niacin dose for 2yr old duck (Muscovy female, no longer laying)

Aug 17, 2020
Quebec, Canada
Niacin dose for 2yr old duck (Muscovy female, no longer laying)

Hi, I have eliminated (I believe) everything else, she started with a sore leg we thought might be sprained, but now she is no longer standing on her legs. I have this bag that contains a lot of vitamins, I would like to try to get her to swallow the meds in a water dilution, how much powder do I add to about a tablespoon of liquid ? (I am assuming I will have a hard time getting her to swallow it, so a stronger dose that she can then drink water to 'wash the taste away'. ) In case the images are not legible, the analysis says Niacin 5,000mg per 4 oz, and 20,000 mg per lb. Feel very welcome to be as rude as you need to be if I am about to do the wrong thing, my pride can handle it, but my little heart is devastated by her suffering.
1657148633345.png
1657148656449.png

I had a duck that had the same issue. I have my own body soreness issues lol so I treated her like I would myself. I brought her inside and gave her a brooder plate (equivalent to heating pad), epsom bath every day in the tub, lots of rest, and some nutridrech in the water she didn’t start improving until after a couple weeks. Once there was improvement though I was able to tell it was a joint injury around her hip/spine. She was eating drinking and pooping fine just couldn’t move. She even kinda was acting like she had wry neck.
860E0DD6-811F-461A-A740-FC02F753C817.jpeg

I had a duck that had the same issue. I have my own body soreness issues lol so I treated her like I would myself. I brought her inside and gave her a brooder plate (equivalent to heating pad), epsom bath every day in the tub, lots of rest, and some nutridrech in the water she didn’t start improving until after a couple weeks. Once there was improvement though I was able to tell it was a joint injury around her hip/spine. She was eating drinking and pooping fine just couldn’t move. She even kinda was acting like she had wry neck.
View attachment 3176822
How is she doing now?

How is she doing now?
She made a full recovery. She was one I got from tsc so I think weak genetics played a big role. I’m currently selling the majority of my birds to pet homes and buying high quality stock. I just don’t feel right letting them breed when I know them to be low quality. If I wouldn’t do it with dogs or horses I shouldn’t be doing it with poultry ❤️

Thank you all for the replies 🙂.

A note: To those who find this later and are looking for info, the only thing I can add is that sprinkling it in or on top of a small amount of fruit puree (apple and peach is her favourite) has been the easiest method I found. I give her a small amount so she finishes it, that way I know she got all of it. A tablespoon full is plenty and makes her eat to the bottom of the bowl.

One last thing... She it biting her legs, I have not seen anyone mention that as a symptom of this. She has done it so much she ripped a layer of scales off today. I wrapped the leg for a few days to stop her, but I didn't know if I should keep it wrapped long-term. As soon as I unwrapped it she started again.

Attachments

• IMG_20220710_194008_530.jpg
    IMG_20220710_194008_530.jpg
    566.9 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom