NIACIN IN DUCKS

Gimmeaduck

Chirping
Dec 5, 2021
my rouen hen had a niacin deficiancy when she was a baby, the vet or the ag manager did not think she would live. I babied her and fed her cans of peas and brewers yeast and she is well today and walks fine. Will this make her more susceptible to another bout of this.
When she was little, she could not walk much. She would take a few steps, and lay down and repeat. The vet suggested peas. I'm just wondering if what happened to her as a baby will make her more apt to have a repeat bout of this

Put 1 Tablespoon over each cup of feed you give. nutritional yeast is a great way to make sure they are getting the niacin and other b vitamins that are important to their health. If she has problems walking or lameness then the liquid b complex is the best way to treat. [TSC]

my rouen hen had a niacin deficiancy when she was a baby, the vet or the ag manager did not think she would live. I babied her and fed her cans of peas and brewers yeast and she is well today and walks fine. Will this make her more susceptible to another bout of this.
When she was little, she could not walk much. She would take a few steps, and lay down and repeat. The vet suggested peas. I'm just wondering if what happened to her as a baby will make her more apt to have a repeat bout of this
Are you in the US? Were you feeding a proper diet in the first place??

What is your Rouen's age now? Does she have any friends? Can you post pics?Has she started laying yet?

Do you have access to or feed a formulated ration?

Otherwise (especially in other countries) please describe your feed routine in detail including treats and supplements.

If it was keeper related and has been fixed.. then it should NOT repeat itself. If it was an genetic absorption issue.. it could possibly repeat at any time.. without maintenance.

Duck needs for both protein and niacin decrease (some) with age compared to when rapidly growing as youngsters. A very comprehensive list of nutritional needs is in the following link..

https://www.metzerfarms.com/nutritional-requirements.html

Purina flock raiser is an acceptable feed for ducklings/ducks and does NOT require niacin supplementation (except for Jumbo Pekin). Last time I called the company niacin content was listed as 55mg/kg, though not listed or required by law to be listed on the guaranteed analysis. Of course oyster shell or other calcium source is required free choice on the side for layers.

I have no problem with supplementation.. but fairly well don't comprehend the point of discussing it without discussing actual feed routine first and foremost. Sorry, Attention to detail disorder haunts me and is a constant thorn in my side! :oops:

Glad she recovered and is thriving! :wee

Pics always welcome.

Back
Top Bottom