Nibbles or Bites?

Luvs Ducks

In the Brooder
Apr 19, 2016
I have a three week old duckling that hatched as a single, therefore she imprinted on me. She will put my finger in her mouth, which doesn't bother me, but then she likes to get the meaty part of my finger and pinch it. This can be some what painful. Is all this just in fun or is this considered aggressive behavior?

I have a three week old duckling that hatched as a single, therefore she imprinted on me. She will put my finger in her mouth, which doesn't bother me, but then she likes to get the meaty part of my finger and pinch it. This can be some what painful. Is all this just in fun or is this considered aggressive behavior?
That is not behavior I woul encourage. Can you get the duckling a buddy?

That is not behavior I woul encourage. Can you get the duckling a buddy?
Three days after she hatched another one hatched. I put them together and she seemed to be doing fine. Then 2-3 days in I woke up one morning to find the new duckling had died during the night. I have no clue as to why it died. Therefore, I take this one with me to work during the week, so she wont be so lonely.

Three days after she hatched another one hatched. I put them together and she seemed to be doing fine. Were 2-3 days in and woke up one morning to find the new duckling had died during the night. I have no clue as to why it died. Therefore, I take this one with me to work during the week, so she wont be so lonely.
Sorry you lost one. :hugs how do you know it's female? I ask because it's been my experience that imprintd male ducklings can become very aggressive to people once they reach sexual maturity. Please do try to find a buddy for your duckling. :D

I have heard that a drake will bite as in to flirt. If "she" is not a "he" than I do not know what it could be. If I were you when she bites I would tap her on the beak so lightly just to get her attention. She should eventually stop if you do this whenever she try's to nibble.

Back
Top Bottom