Nibbling?

duckduckgoose13

Chirping
Aug 8, 2020
Hello everyone!
I just had a quick question about my two ducks, so my ducks have a pen (an old dog run) where they hangout and eat and sleep and swim. I always let them out for “play time” several times a day (I have to supervise them because we have lots of hawks and coyotes and pretty much and predator you can think of) where they have acres of green grass, mud, I sprinkle peas in the lawn so they can scavenge for them. They have always followed me since they were a day old, but I was wondering how come whenever I let them out they just want to sit next to me and nibble on me? They aren’t hurting me at all, it just tickles, but does this mean something? They also only seem to want the grass I am sitting on. They won’t go more than 2inches from me it seems like which I don’t mind but how come they always just want to nibble on me, half the time they both try to crawl into my lap and sit.

How old are they now? Sounds like they have imprinted on you and feel safe with you. Are they females or drakes or both? Since they don't have hands to touch an feel things they use their bills and sounds like they are grooming you. As long as they aren't biting hard. Then if you let them out into an area if it doesn't have alot of over head cover like trees and bushes they may feel vulnerable to the predators you mentioned. They have built in ability to know they aren't safe out in the open. So being right there with you most likely gives them safety. I hope your old dog run is safe from climbers and diggers and and anything that can stick it's arm in and grab and try and pull out[raccoons are notorious]

Last edited:
How old are they now? Sounds like they have imprinted on you and feel safe with you. Are they females or drakes or both? Since they don't have hands to touch an feel things they use their bills and sounds like they are grooming you. As long as they aren't biting hard. The are you let them out into if it doesn't have alot of over head cover like trees and bushes they may feel vulnerable to the predators you mentioned. They have built in ability to know they aren't safe out in the open. So being right there with you most likely gives them safety. I hope your old dog run is safe from climbers and diggers and and anything that can stick it's arm in and grab and try and pull out[raccoons are notorious]
They are about three months old, two female Pekin ducks. And yes I made the dog run all safe, dig proof, and nothing can pull them through.

Seems they may just be attached to you. If they're only allowed out when you're there, they feel safe around you. What kind of ducks do you have? I have muscovy, appleyard, saxony and khakis

How old are they now? Sounds like they have imprinted on you and feel safe with you. Are they females or drakes or both? Since they don't have hands to touch an feel things they use their bills and sounds like they are grooming you. As long as they aren't biting hard. The are you let them out into if it doesn't have alot of over head cover like trees and bushes they may feel vulnerable to the predators you mentioned. They have built in ability to know they aren't safe out in the open. So being right there with you most likely gives them safety. I hope your old dog run is safe from climbers and diggers and and anything that can stick it's arm in and grab and try and pull out[raccoons are notorious]
They are about three months old, two female Pekin ducks. And yes I made the dog run

Back
Top Bottom