Nice neighbor and the miserable bunnies

1stepcloser

Poultry In Motion
10 Years
Sep 16, 2009
Dover, TN
(((sigh)))

I don't know if anyone remembers but I keep writing about my super nice neighbor who has decided to raise his own meat rabbits. They are in horribly cramped cages to the point they can literally only turn around...they can't even stretch out. I couldn't stand it the other day (after many convos we have had about him building them a run, living in better conditions, etc.). I offered to buy 2 of the bunnies in the smallest cages. Yes, I know I am only encouraging him but these rabbits face my property and I see their misery every single day. Anyhow, he asks if I have a cage for them. Uh...no. I had planned on them living in our backyard. We have a shed that is lifted off the ground for burrowing, we have a chicken coop they can sleep in, our property is completely fenced...so, no. Caging them 24/7 totally flies in the face of why I want to buy them. Get this. He is refusing to sell the bunnies because he is afraid i would be a bad owner, he is convinced they would "escape". The conversation was friendly and I stayed upbeat but would not budge...he offered to build a cage and sell it to me (no thanks) so the rabbits are still in rabbit hell.

Also, because they have food, water, and shelter the way he keeps them is totally legal so there is nothing to complain about. I just wish he would eat them like he said he would....he hasn't butchered a single rabbit in the months he's had them.
he.gif

(ETA: I had told him I would get them fixed to prevent a population explosion as well in case that was his concern even though I was going to buy two males.)

Last edited:
Just keep in mind that not all folks treat their rabbits like chickens. They don't all get a run, and most live in a 2x2 (bucks) cage or a 2x3 if they are breeders. Kits are grown out in 2x3 cages usually if kept in a large group, or you put trios in 1x2' cages till slaughtering time.

Keep in mind, these are basically meat machines to some folks. NZW's weren't bred to run frolic and play incessantly. They were bread to be confined, grow fast, have white meat and reproduce reliably.

Yah but he isn't eating them! They are grown and I would say the boxes are a max of 18"18". A 2x2 would be a vast improvement. They also aren't NZs...they are just mutt bunnies.

Quote:
yeah an 18x18 might be ok for a short period of time (but not full grown). I personally am setting up a colony, because I don't like the individually caged setup 100% of the time. I was just giving you the basics that most meat breaders use.

Good book on meat rabbits tho, is Rabbit Production - A rather exhaustive study on the subject that spans all the continents and how folks around the world do it, from cage, to colony.

Last edited:
I have bunnies. They really shouldn't be free ranged, that's just asking for a pred to come harvest them. Mine live in a 18sqft cage & run combo, made from left over coop parts and $10 in 2X2's from the hardware store.

My rabbits are one to a cage, 3x2 for the pregnant does, and 2x2 for the breeder boys and dry girls. They are fine, they get out so they can run. Clean cages are a must, but they really do do fine in this size of cage.

Oh yeah, our big boys, the french lops and flemish, all get 3x2 cages for life.

All the cages are big enough so they can turn around, walk around, make nests, whatever they feel like doing.

Quote:
Those are the sizes that I had planned to use for my rabbits. The dry does/bucks would be in 2'x2'x18" and the does with litters, I had planned on putting in a 30"x36"x18". Someone told me that this was not nearly enough room. I'm about ready to say piss on everyone else and just do what I plan to do, and adjust if *I* feel it is necessary. I can't stand when others shove their opinions on others. I plan to raise meat rabbits as well, I don't necessarily want each rabbit to have a mansion.

Quote:
Those are the sizes that I had planned to use for my rabbits. The dry does/bucks would be in 2'x2'x18" and the does with litters, I had planned on putting in a 30"x36"x18". Someone told me that this was not nearly enough room. I'm about ready to say **** on everyone else and just do what I plan to do, and adjust if *I* feel it is necessary. I can't stand when others shove their opinions on others. I plan to raise meat rabbits as well, I don't necessarily want each rabbit to have a mansion.

Exactly!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
I'd never sell to anyone who wanted to free-range rabbits in a neighborhood. There are a few circumstances that I would be ok with it (being in the woods and/or not living near anyone else), but in a neighborhood or even just near anyone else, no. It's just not fair to unleash YOUR rabbits on other peoples' gardens. In fact, I know that I plan on shooting any rabbits that I can get a good shot at in my yard. Our are all wild, but, I can tell you, I'd be FURIOUS if someone had left their pets out to eat my hard work. As for cage size, I've noticed that some people are overly dramatic about cage size. Rabbits can live just fine without having an acre of space. As for him eating the rabbits, he may want to increase his breeding stock before eating anything.

Quote:
How do you know he isnt eating them? Unless you're keeping count of them. Not accusing, just wonder.

Also, for this man they are for meat, not for pets. He gives them feed, water and shelter... so I dont see what the problem is. They may be in small quarters, but not everyone believes animals need a ton of space. Meat animals kept in smaller quarters put on weight more quickly, plain and simple. I wouldnt sell to someone who would want to free-range either, it doesnt seem like the best idea.

Back
Top Bottom