Nice Roosters

Right! I can see the cock is thinking, as you walk across the yard, 'yesterday you chased my hens, today I must keep you away from them' wham! You think its out of the blue, but he sees a threat. He had only been conditioned to see a predator. I think people just get in over their heads, never having dealt with animals and think it quaint to have a beautiful rooster, to add to their acquisitions, never really considering his nature. I can respect those who research before the purchase and listen to advise. But I wonder at those who don't.

When I had my roosters, they would attack me and draw blood if I didn't stick out my foot when they ran at me. They were also pulling the hens feathers out. I think that was the "teenage" behavior and I don't think I kept them long enough to see them get better to the hens. My mom couldn't stand them and my grandma walked around holding a broom so I kinda had to get rid of them. The roosters at the local feed store are Japanese Serama and Silkies. The Japanese Seramas are sooooooo tiny and cute! Does anybody know if they're mean?

expectation of a flock defender is unrealistic until the roo is nearly a year old..... give or take a few months. If you can get through the teenage months, without him getting aggressive toward people, things will improve. However, my last roo, was always a bit rough with the girls, but he was a great defender, and I who free range a lot, did not lose a hen for over a year..... till something got him, on the second attack.

All I've ever heard about silkies is they are pretty tame, and friendly, even the stags,and more of a breed apart from regular chickens. Don't know about the seramas....check the breeds section. As for the awkward stage most seem to have...don't know about that either, mine just seem to know how it is early on. Didn't know animals needed practice.

I have 10 roosters myself, I have 2 Nankin roosters, 1 Silkie rooster, 4 Rhode Island Red Cockerels, 2 or 3 Silkie X Nankin cockerels, My Rhode Island Red and SilkieXnankin cockerels are very protective, even they are young. They would chase the gray squirrels away from the hens and breads.

My RIR cockerels seem like will be a good protectors roosters.

My Silkie X Nankin cockerels would help their father to fight something away, like when their father in a serious fight with 3 Jersey Giant hens, and they will help him right away. LOL
Their father is a bantam.

Here picture of them
This both of them Is a silkieXNankin

father He's a Nankin.

in this picture, father and uncle. White one is the cockerels's uncle. They are tamed to be pet and hold.
I got them from a wonderful breeder.

My EE rooster has a very good temperament. I have had him as a chick and interact with him everyday. He has never shown aggression to me or anyone else. He is very sweet to his hens too.
The only time he ever did anything mean was I entered the coop and he pecked my foot really hard as I passed him. I was wearing flats too beacuse those are my old "coop shoes" and it kinda hurt. I immediately picked him up, much to his dismay, and held him by his feet until he calmed down. This happened in about a minute period. I put him down, he shook off and hasn't dared to do anything like that since. He comes to me if I crouch down and call him but he gets out of my way if I come near him. He is a very good rooster.
I pick him up every once in a while and hold him to show him I can do that if I want and I've heard that's what helps them be non agressive.
My other chickens I pick up and handle every day, and he doesn't mind much, unless a hen doesn't want to be picked up and starts skwaking. He starts yelling and when I put them down he runs to them and checks them over and gives them the stink eye. It's kind of cute actually. I like how much roosters care for their girls.

Back
Top Bottom