Nice to join you

Jul 13, 2019
Virginia, U.S.
17570.jpeg Recently came into a bunch of chickens that were rescued from an abandoned coop. My sister in law and I have been rehabilitating them and kept finding ourselves on this site whenever we needed a question answered, so I finally decided to make an account so we could ask questions directly as they came up. There are 8 chickens, 2 of which I'm fairly certain are Easter eggers, 2 guineas, 1 silkie, and we are unsure about the other 3 in regards to breed. They are all a joy though, and while we were pretty sure at first the silkie wouldn't make it, thanks in part to information from this site, s/he's doing great.
17476.jpeg 17477.jpeg

Last edited:
Hello Jackjackandbernice.
Welcome to BYC.
Are you sure you've got that rehabilitating business the right way round?:D
Haha, well they've definitely been source of happiness. I had no idea how nice it was to just hang out with chickens and what great personalities they had until now. They're each unique quirky, and fun. The silkie is named Bernice (unless it turns out to be a he, and it was in such rough shape when we got it, it couldn't walk, much less escape out of the shoebox we transported it in to keep it separate from the others. Now it's a rowdy, snuggly ball of love and it's been so fulfilling. Unfortunately about 9 chickens had already died by the time the coop was discovered, so these guys are all survivors. Including a pic of Bernice day 1. We gently rinsed her off as she had black gunk up to her chest, and this was her right after. 17421.jpeg

And this is her now: 20190712_120358.jpg

What a miraculous rescue! You are definitely cut out to be chicken parents at Backyard Chickens.:thumbsup If you have clear photos of them you can post them at "What breed or gender is this?" and the great people there will sort them out for you.

Too bad the people who abandoned them didn't go to jail for their crimes. Nowadays it's just too easy for folks to walk away from chickens, horses, dogs, cattle and in many circumstances their own children.

What a miraculous rescue! You are definitely cut out to be chicken parents at Backyard Chickens.:thumbsup If you have clear photos of them you can post them at "What breed or gender is this?" and the great people there will sort them out for you.

Too bad the people who abandoned them didn't go to jail for their crimes. Nowadays it's just too easy for folks to walk away from chickens, horses, dogs, cattle and in many circumstances their own children.
I have made a thread with a few of the babies, so please check them out: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/need-help-with-breed-and-genders.1322106/

Back
Top Bottom