Nicest duck breeds?

Moochie

Songster
9 Years
Nov 8, 2010
North Edwards
I have two crested ducks and they ain't so great, well they're not friendly. They run away if I stretch my hand out to them. And when I have mealworms in my hand they peck too hard and fast, so I sorta stopped feeding them from my hand.
Nicest, friendly, docile.. Yeah. Ducks?

Anyone know how often crested ducks lay eggs? Size, shape, and color?

Last edited:
Well I am going to assume you have white crested ducks, large, big full heads, thick neck, and big. Well they lay large beige often with a green tint egg. As for friendly breeds, well it just depends on how they are raised. If you don't work with your ducks at an early age they will become skittish. The breeds I found to be the friendliest were:
-Blue swedish
-Buff
-Pekin (which white crested are pekins BTW)

Some people like runners, but I find them to be quite a skittish breed in general. And stay away from call ducks if you don't want a duck with attitude. They WILL tell you that they are the boss!

Most ducks are not naturally as friendly as chickens. They are closer to the wild instincts and I find they don't want to be handled or picked up much. They just don't like it. My ducklings are usually pretty flighty, but by the time they are a year or so old, they settle down nicely.

My Saxony ducks are very calm and self confident. I enjoy them. My very favorite ducks for personality have been Silver Appleyards and Welsh Harlequins. There is something about the Appleyards - cutest personality ever. The Welsh Harlequins became very tame and would eat worms from my fingers and follow me around when I weeded to help eat whatever I unearthed. They are very pretty and great layers without a lot of health problems. I'd highly recommend them.

I have a blue swedish and buff neither are all that friendly. When I was a child we had a peking that was a lover, so who knows.
idunno.gif

Yes, the white crested ducks. I've had them since they were 2 weeks old, is that too late?
I'm trying to find people locally with ducks, I know a few with runners. Will a broody chicken take duck eggs? And when the duckling hatches will she take care of them? Right now I have a few broody cochins, and if my only resort is hatching duck eggs I have to use a broody. I've never used a brooder.

What about a muscovy they would have to be the friendliest duck i have ever had
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
I think any duck is a wonderful duck if you raise them to be. Once they are adults and haven't been around people, your pretty much screwed. You can lour them in with treats and get them better, however nothing beats a duck that someone has handled since the day it was hatched. I don't think any one breed is best, I think its the handling.
I have some Muscovy that were wild, but honey comb cereal changed all that.

Last edited:
I don't pick my ducks up. None of them really like being picked up. But my Silver Appleyards are the calmest and quietest.

I've got Swedish ducks from 2 different sources and one group is very high strung and the other is very curious and easy going. Since I raised both groups exactly the same way, it is not how they were raised. Temperament is inherited, so I conclude that one breeder breeds for temperament and the other either doesn't care or doesn't notice temperament.

My most confident ducks are Pekins, but since they are only 2 weeks old, I don't know how they would be as adults.

My young ducklings will sit in my hand and climb up my arms, but they do not like to be picked up. You'll have more success with ducks as pets if you modify your expectations a bit to adjust to duck personalities and duck nature.

They do seem to enjoy being talked to. Treats are always a hit and a good way to bring them in close to you.

Back
Top Bottom