Niederrheiner Thread! All Colors!

Pics
So what are your thoughts on male or female...this is stumping me because i have one other that is practically all white (super pale yellow) still. This one has more buff but i am still hesitant. Thanks!

Middle one is a pullet for sure, top might still get darker. If you have an almost white that would be a cockerel.

Those are actually all the same bird in the photos. Lighting was coming through the window so thats probably why they look so different. But it definatly has more color on it than the other one i have.

I sure hope so. Luckily i can keep roosters where i am but out of my 21 different chicks a few females would be nice.

I got this little one in a batch of chicks I purchased from a breeder. She originally told me it was a lemon cuckoo orpington but every picture I see online that looks like it says it's a niederrheiner? I know this breeder gets hatching eggs occasionally from greenfire farms because I previously purchased a cream legbar that came from greenfire. I'm presuming this one is a roo. Its 3 months old and extremely docile. Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:
First of all, Greenfire does not sell hatching eggs. Second, I personally thing it looks like a lemon cuckoo orpington more than a Niederrheiner...

My legbar is from greenfire. It may be that she hatched fertilized eggs from someone who got chicks from greenfire. Every single lemon cuckoo orpington hen or rooster that I have seen does not have the black feathers on the tail or under the neck or wings. Mind you this is a young roo. His feathers are not completely grown in yet. He looks very familiar to many other niederrheiner roo's pictured in this thread but as I said, I am not positive.

Last edited:
They are gorgeous. I did end up confirming with greenfire that he is in fact a lemon cuckoo Niederrheiner. I was so intrigued with this breed that I just purchased 6 chicks in hopes to at least get a couple hens to breed them. :)

Last edited:
Well, as my babies grow, I am beginning to think that I have more boys than girl... LOL

We're not zoned for roos so we don't eat our hens. But many raise the hefty Niederrheiners for meat ~ better to use the cockerels for your own table than give your hard work away to someone else's table? Or will you be keeping your surplus boys? Your pullet photo is so-o-o cute!

Back
Top Bottom