Niederrheiners and other meat breeds?

This is about all I know about them.
Niederrheiner (feathersite.com)
A couple other breeds to consider.
Barbezieux Chicken - Arca del Gusto - Slow Food Foundation (fondazioneslowfood.com)
Java Breeding (polarisstarfarm.com)
the breed and variety I raise is the Black Penedesenca. They are widely renown in Spain for the flavor of the meat in similar fashion to the Bresse of France.
It is important to remember that heritage breeds, even those I mentioned, would only be a niche market in the US even though they would be prized in Europe.
Many people there think Cornish Cross are mushy birds with little flavor and they will pay more for a flavorful bird.
They want a more chewy bird packed with flavor.

Good luck.
There is little info on LC Niederrheiner.
Greenfire used to carry them but no longer.
Having raised Niederrheiner and Bielefelders, I find they are similar in size, temperament, egg size and laying ability.
Colorwise Biels are a more colorful crele and Nieds are a buffy cuckoo.
They are both large birds and sweet as can be.
Since I have no need to eat my birds, I cannot offer an opinion on that point.
The Nieder eggs were very difficult to find but now there are a couple of sellers on ebay. I have bought from both and am happy with the eggs I received.
McM now sells them. I ordered some because it is cheaper than buying shipped eggs. I plan to grow them out and see what happens.
Incidentally, there are a number of hatcheries who are selling Biel chicks.
Just a few years ago, they were "rare". :hmm

The marbled fat in Bresse is due to the French use of fattening sheds. It's not practiced in America anymore. The marbled meat is not a breed thing rather the pre slaughter conditioning. You've probably heard the phrase "a fattened goose for Christmas." You probably don't want to know how it was/is done. Considered cruelty to animals in America anymore though once common practice as it is today in Europe.
The Bresse or American Bresse is a breed thing. They are built different.

The Bresse has a genetic lineage that allows them to metabolize their food in a unique way which helps to create a different flavor as well as meat, and fat, growth pattern.

Additionally, the meat-to-bone ratio is vastly different from traditional meat chickens because their bones are quite thin and dainty.

Back
Top Bottom