Nigerian Dwarf Goats

BrittanyM1216

Hatching
May 7, 2020
We just got our first 3 Nigerian Dwarf goats. A momma and her 2 babies (a boy and a girl). We put out a bail of Timothy grass but I am also wondering if I should be feeding grain and alfalfa pellets as well and how much? The previous owner was giving her 1 cup of grain with the pellets 2x a day. Is this correct? And how what kind of minerals should I have her on? I was told as long as she has the hay and good forage she didn’t need much sweet feed?

We just got our first 3 Nigerian Dwarf goats. A momma and her 2 babies (a boy and a girl). We put out a bail of Timothy grass but I am also wondering if I should be feeding grain and alfalfa pellets as well and how much? The previous owner was giving her 1 cup of grain with the pellets 2x a day. Is this correct? And how what kind of minerals should I have her on? I was told as long as she has the hay and good forage she didn’t need much sweet feed?
The timothy grass is good. How old are the kids? I'd separate and wether the buck at 8 weeks old if you plan on keeping him so he doesn't breed back to his mom or sister. As for grain bucks really shouldn't be getting any grain. I give my bucklings about a hand full of sweet feed up until they're 4-6 months old, Then i completely wean them off of grain and strictly stick to timothy/clover mixed hay diet (Unless i'm breeding them, then i'll give them a little bit of alfalfa pellets)
I'm assuming the mother is still nursing? If so she definitely needs the extra grain to keep up milk production since she's now in a new environment and still adjusting, which can reduce milk production. I buy a goat sweet feed mix and mix in some alfalfa pellets for my does in milk.
can you ask what their previous owner was feeding them? The amount of grain she was giving the doe sounds good. i'd look into what kind of feed she was giving her and try to see if you can get the same for them.
I provide minerals 24/7 for my goats. i use goat meat maker loose minerals for them, I don't use blocks. Goats can ruin their teeth by chewing on them so i always use loose minerals to be safe.

The timothy grass is good. How old are the kids? I'd separate and wether the buck at 8 weeks old if you plan on keeping him so he doesn't breed back to his mom or sister. As for grain bucks really shouldn't be getting any grain. I give my bucklings about a hand full of sweet feed up until they're 4-6 months old, Then i completely wean them off of grain and strictly stick to timothy/clover mixed hay diet (Unless i'm breeding them, then i'll give them a little bit of alfalfa pellets)
I'm assuming the mother is still nursing? If so she definitely needs the extra grain to keep up milk production since she's now in a new environment and still adjusting, which can reduce milk production. I buy a goat sweet feed mix and mix in some alfalfa pellets for my does in milk.
can you ask what their previous owner was feeding them? The amount of grain she was giving the doe sounds good. i'd look into what kind of feed she was giving her and try to see if you can get the same for them.
I provide minerals 24/7 for my goats. i use goat meat maker loose minerals for them, I don't use blocks. Goats can ruin their teeth by chewing on them so i always use loose minerals to be safe.
The kids were born April 30th and she is still nursing. They were using DuMor sweet feed which is what I’m still giving her. She was giving her 1 cup in the morning and 1 cup in the afternoon but I’m not sure how much of the alfalfa pellets I should be putting in with her food. They also gave us a back of minerals I’ve been just sprinkling in with her food. We want to get the buck neutered but still trying to find a vet near us that specializes in goats. We are in Birmingham Alabama.

The kids were born April 30th and she is still nursing. They were using DuMor sweet feed which is what I’m still giving her. She was giving her 1 cup in the morning and 1 cup in the afternoon but I’m not sure how much of the alfalfa pellets I should be putting in with her food. They also gave us a back of minerals I’ve been just sprinkling in with her food. We want to get the buck neutered but still trying to find a vet near us that specializes in goats. We are in Birmingham Alabama.
I'd just mix a handful or two of alfalfa per cup of sweet feed. I would also leave about about a cup or two of minerals out in a separate dish, they'll eat it when they need it. neutering a buckling can be very easy if you're just banding them. It just takes one person to hold the goat while the other bands. I'd look into videos on how to band bucklings if you can't find a vet who does.

Back
Top Bottom