Nigerian Dwarf

PotterWatch

My Patronus is a Chicken
11 Years
Apr 22, 2008
Virginia
I know there are lots of questions on here about goats, and I have done a couple searches, but I don't have time to read every thread. I was wondering if someone could answer some questions I have about Nigerian Dwarfs. TIA!

1. How much space would I need for two does?

2. How much milk could I expect from two does?

3. What type of feed do they need?

4. Do you sell your milk and if so, how much do you charge?

5. How loud are they? I have been around Boers and Nubians and the Nubians were by far louder than the Boers. I am in a residential neighborhood and don't want to disturb my neighbors too much.

6. Anything else I should know about them?

Thanks!

I guess my biggest issue is whether or not we have enough room. Is it feasible to have goats in a residential area where they are living in a backyard, not pasture type land? We don't have a postage-stamp sized yard, but we don't have an acre either.

Quote:
1. A typical backyard is plenty big.

2. Good, milking bred Nigis should produce 4 lbs + a day.

3. Medicated goat pellets, quality hay, alfalfa and loose goat minerals.

4. Not legal to sell here unless you're a Grade A Dairy or selling for pet use only, so no, our milk is for personal use only.

5. Varies by goat. Loud at feeding time, but more people hear our chickens and donkey than the goats.

6. Beware, they're addictive...

Quote:
1. A typical backyard is plenty big.

2. Good, milking bred Nigis should produce 4 lbs + a day.

3. Medicated goat pellets, quality hay, alfalfa and loose goat minerals.

4. Not legal to sell here unless you're a Grade A Dairy or selling for pet use only, so no, our milk is for personal use only.

5. Varies by goat. Loud at feeding time, but more people hear our chickens and donkey than the goats.

6. Beware, they're addictive...

Thanks for the help! We have wanted goats for years now, I can't wait until we can actually do it. How do you go about finding a source to get goats? I think Nigerian Dwarfs are easier to find around here, but I am interested in Miniature LaManchas as well. Having a hard time finding anyone around here who has them though.

Back
Top Bottom