Night time roosting

mrbillwej

Songster
10 Years
May 9, 2013
Hi everyone my new flock I had trained to go into the coop at night then I moved their ramp one night now suddenly they don't want to go in anymore they're all roosting at the highest point inside the chicken run they're safe they're high up they're all penned in but I'm afraid that they won't go back in when it's time for laying.
Question, should I remove that high roost and retrain them to go back into the nesting box or should I leave them alone and let nature do its thing I do have ceramic eggs inside the nesting boxes that they are aware of.
Thank you all in advance for any help

My opinion, leave the high roost but still coop them up for a day or two to retrain then. Seems like they might not like the change in arrangements, but they should adjust pretty quickly. When you close the in with the unwanted furniture keep an ear open for a bit to make sure they aren’t freaking out too much, but if you keep them closed up for a while they should readjust and start going back in. You don’t want to train them to sleep in nesting boxes. It’s messy and won’t help egg quality.

Why do you want them to sleep inside their nesting box? That should only be a spot to lay eggs. If you got rid of the roost, they'll likely move to the next highest location wherever that is.

My chickens all decided they prefer to sleep inside the run like 350 days a year. Two flocks I've started out with coop training and they'd go in there at night no problem until they're around 6-8wks old, then start sleeping in the run instead - I originally thought because it's got a view in the evening of the property and the sunset. Just happened last week to our 6-week old youngsters - but the old girls won't let them join them in "their spot" so they are sardined together on a different branch, hahaha. I'm ok with them sleeping in the run, I know it's secure and nothing will get them - just sucks because I invested so much time in building this awesome coop, when I could have gotten away with building an open-air secure run instead. Oh well.

My opinion, leave the high roost but still coop them up for a day or two to retrain then. Seems like they might not like the change in arrangements, but they should adjust pretty quickly. When you close the in with the unwanted furniture keep an ear open for a bit to make sure they aren’t freaking out too much, but if you keep them closed up for a while they should readjust and start going back in. You don’t want to train them to sleep in nesting boxes. It’s messy and won’t help egg quality.
Thank you 😊

Hi everyone my new flock I had trained to go into the coop at night then I moved their ramp one night now suddenly they don't want to go in anymore they're all roosting at the highest point inside the chicken run they're safe they're high up they're all penned in but I'm afraid that they won't go back in when it's time for laying.
Question, should I remove that high roost and retrain them to go back into the nesting box or should I leave them alone and let nature do its thing I do have ceramic eggs inside the nesting boxes that they are aware of.
Thank you all in advance for any help
Ours sleep on the roosts, and as close together as possible, but they do not like change. We are building a second coop, bigger and better than our original coup. (oh the things you learn and the money you spend....LOL)

Yes I replaced the ramp to its original spot immediately then I placed the hands inside the coop that evening close the door I let them out the next day but that night they went back to the roost up above the coop

Attachments

• IMG20230612183112.jpg
    IMG20230612183112.jpg
    750.8 KB · Views: 12
Yes I replaced the ramp to its original spot immediately then I placed the hands inside the coop that evening close the door I let them out the next day but that night they went back to the roost up above the coop
I can see why that is much more appealing, the coop is so low to the ground and has so little height to it that there's no way to make a roost inside more appealing than the one outside. If the run is predator proof, I don't see any reason not to let them sleep outside vs cramming into a small, low coop.

I can see why that is much more appealing, the coop is so low to the ground and has so little height to it that there's no way to make a roost inside more appealing than the one outside. If the run is predator proof, I don't see any reason not to let them sleep outside vs cramming into a small, low coop.
Ditto Dat!^^^

How many birds?
How old are they, in weeks or months?
How long have you had them...
.... and what is your climate??

Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1686953712106.png

Back
Top Bottom