Night Time Shenanagans

Kissie618

In the Brooder
Oct 18, 2020
I have 4 Buff Orpingtons. They are just over a year old and I raised them as chicks. Last year I noticed they squabbled for the "best"spot every night. Despite having two roosting bars to choose from they all want the one spot on the one bar. As fall approached I stopped paying attention to their nighttime routine and assumed they settled into a pecking order and routine. Tonight was the first warm night of spring and I spent time on my back porch watching as they put themselves to bed. They apparently still squabble complete with one hen who growls. They aren't vicious or even forceful with their pushing and pecking, yet they still squabble. I find this strange. I will be introducing two young (currently 6 week old) swedish flower hen chicks to the coop soon. Should I be overly concerned or just put them on the roosting bar that the other hens seem to shun?

I hope you started integrating the chicks to the hens. So they get use to the 2 newbies.
Yes they have all been spending time outside. Both separated and with opportunity to mingle. So far everyone is doing ok with ones another. If anything the babies harass the big girls. One if them even chased the head hen who promptly ran in the other direction LOL.

Yes they have all been spending time outside. Both separated and with opportunity to mingle. So far everyone is doing ok with ones another. If anything the babies harass the big girls. One if them even chased the head hen who promptly ran in the other direction LOL.
Sounds pretty good!
Where do the youngers spend the night?

Back
Top Bottom