Nightmare Evening

Oooh, what a scare. What a lousy night!
hugs.gif

I lost my 75 lb. Standard Poodle Alekai to torsion many years ago - I still tend to be paranoid about deep chested dogs rolling over or even on their backs.

So glad to hear that Odessa is slowly recovering, hope it goes smoothly.
fl.gif

The van rang a bell, too. My Dodge Caravan died the same way- but in the middle of a huge intersection, at rush hour. No way out.
somad.gif

I'll be rooting for Odessa!
hugs.gif
to her and you!

Glad your dog is OK. Hope the van survives as well. Several years ago my brother came home from work and found his dog in the drive with a twisted stomach. It was a horrible situation, very painful.

Imp

Sorry about you dog.
hugs.gif
I'm so glad she is okay. Bloat is my biggest fear with my breeds. I had the stomach tacking done on my male Saint. And when i get my Mastiff fixed, he'd getting the tacking also. I just hope the tacking really works.
fl.gif
ooh, and that sucks about the van also!
th.gif

Thank God she was ok. My first Bloodhound bloated at 6pm one night, we rushed her to the vet and since the vet could not find a twist she sent her home. She thought it was trivial and the dog had just got into something she shouldn't have. We live an hour away, and she knew that. I am kicking myself to this day for not insisting that the vet kept her or tacked her stomach then. I just didn't know any better at the time. She twisted her gut at some point on the way home or after we got back. I checked on her around 1am and she was sleeping, by 3am we had lost her.

I feel so guilty about the whole situation, I knew in my heart something was gravely wrong and I should have insisted she was treated. She wasn't 'there' for the few hours before we lost her, if that makes sense. Her eyes didn't have as much life behind them. I laid beside her so she could smell me, but I don't think she knew I was there. I tried so hard to stay awake and keep an eye on her, but I was just too tired.

Nothing scares me more than bloat, and i'm worried sick to leave the dogs with someone else taking care of them. We had our current Bloodhound's stomach tacked when she was spayed, but we're still so careful. We were with the old one
sad.png
We never feed more than two cups of dry food at a time, and always soak it with warm water first. No hard running for an hour before or after eating. We don't feed them when they are overexcited, such as when we've just got home. We also don't allow them to drink large quantities of water in one go.

We had an autopsy done and she had eaten a large quantity of grass that had balled up in her stomach. I don't know whether this was because she felt unwell though, or the cause of the problem.

Cara, I can feel the grief and anguish in your post.

I am thankful that Diddy (her nick name) was exrayed and they found nothing but they did caution me to keep a close eye on her, which I will.

She is sleeping now. I will update if I get any more news. Thanks to everyone for thoughts and well wishes.

Quote:
What do you mean you can't write the word "grump" here? grump is the proper term for a female dog. "Dog" is the proper term for a male. I am sure the moderators know that. Now if you are using the term to call someone a name, that may be a different story...
Really glad to know the patient is OK. Bloat is a true emergency and can kill in an astonishingly short time even with prompt treatment. Better to be safe than sorry. Meaning better to go to the clinic if you think the dog might have bloat rather than making sure it does. By then it may be too late. Same with heart attack symptoms in people. Had an uncle who kept insisting he had indigestion. He refused to let anyone take him to the ER. He died insisting it was hearburn.

I made a post earlier using correct and proper terminology and the term was deleted. I did NOT use the term "grump" although that is what I am now. I do resent a legitimate and correct term being deleted/modified. That is Political Correctness gone berserk IMHO. I am waiting with bated breath for my next dog show when I hear a call for the classes Puppy Dogs and Puppy Grumps.

Quote:
Its a program default thing they have here..when certain words are typed the program changes the word automatically. ..noone does it post by post.

Quote:
No one did it; it's just an automatic thing. Once I tried to post a warning about eating poison ivy. It changed my medical term (Human vent) to "picky". Still laugh about it.

Imp- Doesn't mean to hijack and expecting an update on Diddy tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom