Nine week olds won't use roosting bar at night, how do I teach them?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lceh, Jun 19, 2009.

1. lceh

lceh Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2008
    Central Virginia
    My 9-week-old bantams are still sleeping huddled up in a pile in the corner of the henhouse at night and ignoring their roosts. During the day they hang out on the roosts, so I know they're not too high or too big around for them. Why don't they sleep there? Will they learn to on their own, or do I need to teach them somehow? They're sleeping in the nesting box now, which will become a problem when they finally start laying eggs....

2. annek

annek Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Have you tried placing them on the roost at night? Close or remove the nesting boxes, you don't want them in there.

Mine are roosting up at the peak of the roof and I am trying to get them to go on their roost which is much cooler and has a spot for their poop to go rather than down my clean wall. They just squawk at me when I move them and go back as soon as I leave. Dang birds....

Last edited: Jun 19, 2009
  3. BluegrassSeramas

BluegrassSeramas Serama Savvy

Aug 25, 2008
    Central Kentucky
    You can try that...I usually wait and they eventually get it for some reason....

4. cochinbantam-lover

cochinbantam-lover Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Wisconsin
    If it was me I would wait till dark, then go out and set each one onto the roost! It might only take a couple nights of doing this for them to learn. It's just what I would do tho! [​IMG]

5. corporatecowgirl

corporatecowgirl New Egg

Apr 23, 2009
    That worked for me..put them there a couple of times after dark and they go on their own now.

6. Chick_a_dee

Chick_a_dee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Peterborough, ON
    Mine girls just kind of 'got it' one day... "ohhh so that's what those things are for!"

Our 7 week old EE girls haven't figured it out yet.

7. fargosmom

fargosmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Pasadena, CA
    Yep - just keep "tucking them in" at night and they'll catch on. It only took ours 2 nights, if I recall . . .

8. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    We didn't do squat. Just left them in there and eventually they figured it out.

9. Bush Farms

Bush Farms Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2015
    Vidor Texas
    My 6 week old Buff Orpingtons won't go in at night...I have to go out put them on their perch then lock up...I figure they will get it soon..only been outside a week now

10. Bush Farms

Bush Farms Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2015
    Vidor Texas
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by